resignation

an employee told me yesterday that he would be turning in his two week resignation. No problem, its one of those glad to see ya but more glad to see ya go type of guys. After our conversation I did let the supervisor and the EVP know the outcome of the conversation. After that the supervisor sent me a picture from our survelance camera of the same employee literally up in the supervisors face in a very intimidating could be threating manner. so we decided we would terminate if he doesn't resign ( he does have a verbal warning and a write up in his file, however not for the same thing). So my question is if he does turn in his two week resignation would we be ok in saying ok lets not wait two weeks lets make this effective today? thanks

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Under the circumstances, I don't think I'd wait for him to turn in his resignation, I'd just tell him he was done today anyway. I don't see the point in waiting for him to resign if what he did is a terminable offense to begin with.
  • Let him go, but he might apply for unemployment and qualify for those 2 weeks. Then you will have to fight it. You should consider paying them for the 2 weeks.

Good luck!
  • Once an employee tells you they are going to be leaving, allowing them to continue to work is at your discretion. They, in effect, have severed the employer/employee link, keeping them on is your call.
    If they are a dud, it's best say "Okay, make it effective right now". After all, how effective will they be in the next two weeks? They could be disruptive (like your guy), they could do some
    damage, they could alienate customers or co-workers, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by telling them to pack up and leave.
    As of unemployment benefits, in most states a voluntary quit prevents the claimant from getting any benefits (I am sure in Indiana they would find a way around it).
  • Although in most states a voluntary quit would prevent them from getting unemployment, if they've given you notice and you let them go right away then it may be considered an involuntary termination, in which case they could conceivably receive unemployment.

Not sure about other states, but I've seen my state do this before. If we let them go right away when they've given us notice, it's then considered a dismissal.
  • Many, if not most, companies like to have advance notice of a staff member leaving employment. You hear all the time about providing 2-week notice of resignation.

If you use the practice of terminating them immediately upon resignation notice, then employees will stop providing you advance notice of their intent to leave.
  • gbryant has a point, but sometimes you have no choice such as IS positions. Your risks are sometimes greater when you keep them on. In those cases you usually go ahead and pay them for the 2 weeks so you don't run into the situation gbryant brought up. However, if you have a disruptive or otherwise poor employee, most of your regular employees will be relieved to see you end the relationship immediately on that 'one' employee. Just don't let it happen often.