Follow Up Visits - OSHA Recordable?

We have had two muscle strains this year and both had follow up doctor visits. One had two follow up visits. There was no lost time, no medication was prescribed and no limitations placed on them. I remember once upon a time that if there was a follow up visit than it automatically became a recordable accident. I cannot find where it is stated that that is the case now. Does anyone know whether or not these would be recordable?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [I][FONT=Arial]We posed this question to our Safety Editor, Dave Galt. Here is his response: [/FONT][/I]
    [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]The muscle strains are not recordable IF there was one-time treatment for first aid with a followup visit for observation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]The wording of the recordkeeping rule at 29 CFR section 1904.12(e) says ‘”First aid" is any one-time treatment, and any followup visit for the purpose of observation. Such one-time treatment, and followup visit for the purpose of observation…is considered first aid even though provided by a physician or registered professional personnel.’[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]According to OSHA’s recordkeeping rule at 1904.7(b)(5), medical treatment does not include visits to a physician or other licensed health care professional solely for observation or counseling.[/FONT][FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]If you find there was medical treatment beyond first aid, OSHA’s rule at 1904.7(b)(5) says:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]“If the injury or illness did not involve days away from work, one or more days of restricted work, or one or more days of job transfer, you enter a check mark in the box for cases where the employee received medical treatment but remained at work and was not transferred or restricted.”[/FONT][FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
    [I][FONT=Arial]Hope this helps.[/FONT][/I]
    [I][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/I]
    [I][FONT=Arial]Sharon[/FONT][/I]
  • Thank you Sharon. This is the best explaination that I have seen.