FMLA--gastric sleeve surgery

Is there anything I need to watch for once I receive the physican statement regarding this procedure? I have an employee who is out currently following this procedure, I only found out about it due to her not returning to work today.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not much help here, but I would just pay close attention to the restrictions and follow your policy on accommodating not WC medical issues.
  • Agee with Sonny, follow your regular policies and make sure the employee has a doctor's authorization to return to work with or without restrictions before she returns.

I have a question though. Don't your policies require employees to let you know in advance of any procedures that require 3 or more days off? If so, did they let their supervisor know ahead of time? If you have such a policy, and you should, then either your employee or the supervisor failed to follow procedures. I would follow up with that and make sure they and other employees know to follow them in the future. It is much easier to figure out what you are supposed to do before hand when you have time, than afterwards when you are in a position of trying to catch up.

Just my 2 cents.
  • [quote=athomas@unionpinessurgery.com;724988]Is there anything I need to watch for once I receive the physican statement regarding this procedure? I have an employee who is out currently following this procedure, I only found out about it due to her not returning to work today.[/quote]

Your first post! Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:
    Sharon
  • Nae brings up a good point here. FMLA doesn't give employees carte blanche to do what they please without regard to work rules. If the employee (or supervisor) didn't follow procedures here, or broke a work rule, it would be advisable to address that infraction!