Implementation of 12 Month Rolling Period for FMLA

We are changing over from a traditional FMLA 12 month calendar to the rolling 12 months. Can anyone tell me how they managed this transition for the first year.

example. We are going effective 2/1/13 - if someone goes on FMLA on 4/1/12 and they were just notified of the change 2/1/13 - would you could their time on a go forward basis for the first year following the implementation (this way they have ample time of the new change to the policy)? I'm just unsure of how to go about the calcuations of time off for this first year?

I hope my question is clear. Thanks!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How many people will this affect?

2 months should be adequate notice for most, but if you have someone who was off for illness late 2012 and is now expecting a baby on April 1st, you might have a hard time justifying the notice length in court.

You might want to consider grandfathering in those who took FMLA in the last 6 months of 2012. In other words, treat them as if they didn't actually use up any of their allotted time in the last 6 months of the year.

I guess it really depends on your office environment and culture. Here, a February or March 1st notice would be adequate.
  • We just changed to rolling year also, effective January 1. Our attorney said that we have to give employees 60 days notice of the change. Anyone on leave prior to March will still be on calendar year leave. With your leave, I'd say anyone starting leave April 1 would be on rolling year.
  • [quote=scisco;724801]We are changing over from a traditional FMLA 12 month calendar to the rolling 12 months. Can anyone tell me how they managed this transition for the first year.

example. We are going effective 2/1/13 - if someone goes on FMLA on 4/1/12 and they were just notified of the change 2/1/13 - would you could their time on a go forward basis for the first year following the implementation (this way they have ample time of the new change to the policy)? I'm just unsure of how to go about the calcuations of time off for this first year?

I hope my question is clear. Thanks![/quote]

Hi!

Your first post! Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:

Sharon