Do You Allow Employees to Use Their Own Technology?

There seems to be a growing trend of employees who want to use their own technologies for work. Usually, this is because employees are upgrading to the latest, most powerful smartphones, tablets, and laptops on their own. After all, who wants to wait to get the new iPad2 while going through the process of submitting a request to be included in the next budget (the iPad3 will be out by then!)?

So far, I see pros and cons on both sides of letting employees use their own devices for work:

Pros -- the company saves money while still getting the advantages of advanced technologies, employees are happier with the equipment they are using, adds mobility to the workforce

Cons -- security of proprietary information, dilemma of who fixes the equipment if it is broken

Do you let employees use their own devices to do your work? Any success or horror stories?

Celeste

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We allow it, but we also require employees who use their own iPads, phones, etc to sign an agreement allowing us to remotely wipe the memory of those devices if the employee is involuntarily terminated or the device gets lost. For employees who voluntarily terminate, a part of the termination process is getting the devices scrubbed by IT. So far we haven't had any problems with it.
  • To wipe a device remotely, do you have to install something on it? Some sort of portal that gives you that access? Otherwise, it seems like you could wipe anybody's device at any time.

From what I've read, this is the biggest issue with letting employees use their own technology.

Personally, I don't mind using my equipment and service (wi-fi/data plan) for work, but I don't know that I want anyone else installing anything on the laptop or phone I paid for.

In my current employment situation I would consider it. I've worked here 7 years and know the members of our IT department well and trust them to do only what they say they will do.

But if I were a new employee, I would bristle at the idea of people I didn't know installing something on my computer that would give them the access needed to wipe information. But then, I guess in that situation, you just use the company equipment.
  • We absolutely do not allow it, but that is because we are a bank and the security of our system is of the utmost importance. We are very strict about who is even allowed to work remotely using a company-owned device.
  • KSR6450KSR6450 574 Posts
    edited August 2015 PMVote Up0Vote Down
    We allow it, but we also require employees who use their own iPads, phones, etc to sign an agreement allowing us to remotely wipe the memory of those devices if the employee is involuntarily terminated or the device gets lost. For employees who voluntarily terminate, a part of the termination process is getting the devices scrubbed by IT. So far we haven't had any problems with it.

Coffee,

Would it be possible to get a copy of the agreement you use? I am working on a policy for employees who access Bank e-mail on their personal cell phones.

Thank you,

Linda Sandiford - lsandiford@firstcapitalbanktn.com