FMLA - pneumonia

I find myself struggling with this situation and was hoping someone might be able to give me their input. If someone has pneumonia (was not hospitalized) had a home visit by the doctor and prescribed medication but was NOT off more for MORE THAN 3 CONSECUTIVE DAYS, would that possibly fall under FMLA as a "condition that would likely result in a period of incapacity of more than three consecutive calendar days in the absence of medical intervention or treatment"? Any thoughts?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • They have a doctor that makes house call? That must have cost a bundle. Sorry, got off task for a moment. Since they were not hospitalized or out 3 consecutive days, I wouldn't declare it FMLA if this is the first instance. If it were a condition that required intermittent absences, then I would.
  • Thanks for the input. From your response, I assume that you do not feel the section that refers to "condition that would likely result in a period of incapacity of more than three consecutive calendar days in the absence of medical intervention or treatment" would be applicable to a situation such as this because it did not include "multiple Treatments? I did try to find anything that specifically gave more clarification to that wording but could not find anything except for examples like chemotherapy, kidney dialysis, physical therapy for severe arthritis ... which is why I believe you mentioned unless intermittent leave is needed. As it now turns out, a request has now been turned in for time off for a follow up doctor appt so I am now wondering if we may technically now fall into the "multiple treatments" since it is now more than a 1 time visit and assuming the conditon was actually pneumonia.