Flexible Work Schedule

We are considering changing our work schedule to 4 ten hour days instead of or our normal work schedule of 5 eight hour days. I wanted to receive some input on this issue to find out both the plus and minus of changing our work schedule. Your input would help in the decision making process in determing if this would be the right move for our employees. I would like to mention that this is not being considered as a way to save our agency funds as it is view as a morale booster. I would appreciate your thought on this possible change.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I work 4 tens and love it. I get Friday off and can get all doctor's appointments and other things that can only be taken care of during the week done. I don't feel that working a couple of extra hours per day is that bad as I start early in the morning.

Our other employees work 4 nines and 1/2 day on Friday. They like the afternoon free for the same reasons.
  • jnoullet, I wouldn't object to having a three-day weekend every week =D> so I'm a little jealous of plynnl [note to self: Ask Andrew if he can find us a good "jealousy emoticon"]. Coincidentally, Delaware Employment Law Letter attorney writer/blogger Molly DiBianca has written about four-day workweeks recently, and not entirely favorably, at [url]http://bit.ly/a9sq9V[/url]. Wisconsin Employment Law Letter editor Saul Glazer, meanwhile, will lead a timely 90-minute audio event on the legal and practical issues surrounding four-day workweeks, including employee morale, on Tuesday, Sept. 7. [url]http://bit.ly/aKhXFw[/url] tk
  • How will the newly scheduled work days dovetail into your benefit programs? When a holiday rolls around will the ee's be paid 10 hours holiday pay, same questions for sick, vacation, etc... and how these benefit times are accrued/accumulated by your staff now? Will changes in your policies be necessary to accommodate the new schedules?
  • Our employees are paid for the exact hours they would work for vacation, pto, and holidays. Monday-Thursday is 9 hours and if they are off Friday it is 4 hours.

For me if I am off a week, 10 hours for Monday- Thursday.
    Friday is a regular day off so I don't count it.

We did not implement this for cost savings. I am not sure how much it even saves. It was purely a morale booster.
  • That's a good question Dutch. I am interested in the answer too.

We had two employees sharing a job (one worked one week and the other worked the 2nd week). Since they worked half time, the one who worked during the week of the holiday got half holiday pay and half PTO. At least one employee was very unhappy about it.

I have also heard of having employees work a regular schedule (8 hour days) during weeks where there are holidays. I guess there lots of options out there, but I would really like to hear about one that keeps both employers and employees happy.
  • We have one department doing a trial run of 10 hr days...here's what we did, and what we've found to be pros/cons/things to think about:

- Scheduling was a bit problematic for us because (A) most of our absenteeism happens on Monday/Friday, and (B) everyone wants a 3 day weekend schedule. To eliminate short staffing on Mondays and Fridays, we constructed the compressed workweek so that the off day was either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, and rotated amongst employees.
    - If the employee wants to request a day off, they must use 10 hrs of PTO (half days are 5).
    - During holiday weeks, those on compressed schedule work 4 8-hr days, and receive holiday pay (8 hrs) for the 5th.
    - Decision to try this was based on employee satisfaction feedback, and an attempt to reduce the number of absences we have each week. We figured if we gave the employees one day per week to do appointments and other personal business, we could reduce # of unscheduled absences.
    - This set-up works well for us because we need coverage for a long stretch of hours. By staggering the start times, we can effectively manage scheduling.
    - Big con when someone calls in sick, as we lose 10, not 8 hrs of productivity, not to mention the increased burden on other staff members.
    - Interestingly enough, in a department of about 10 individuals, only 4 wanted to try out the compressed work week. Commonly cited reasons against the schedule were: child care issues/timing & bus/train schedules (many employees commute from the suburbs on trains).
    - Those who are on the schedule seem to really like it, however, they've asked if we'd consider opening up Mondays and Fridays as "free" days for an occasional 3-day weekend.
    - A problem we haven't figured out yet: our PTO system is based on an hourly accrual each pay period, for a total of "X" days per year. As this was originally calculated based on an 8 hr day, those on the 10-hr schedule actually receive less "days" off each year. We're working out a solution for that one....
    - All in all, the solution does not save us money, as we're still paying the same amount whether an employee is here or using PTO. But, it does help us increase productivity and work hours, which in the end helps our bottom line.

Sorry for the brain dump, but I hope it helps!

Sarah
  • This is our second year of a compressed work week for all staff. When investigating how we could go to a four day workweek, I kept running into fairness issues. After several brainstorming sessions, we decided on closing the company every other Friday. Originally everyone thought this was ridiculous. However, our customers soon got used to the new schedules (which we were careful to promote and advertise widely).

We are able to maintain the same pay/leave policies and procedures. Our workweek is 4- 10 hour workdays. The Friday worked is an eight hour workday with payroll time split four/four so that our two-week pay period remained at 80 hours.

Originally, the days seemed long to those who usually worked eight hours (of course, some of us always worked long days so no change, LOL). Now everyone gets two Fridays off a month and it makes a BIG difference in morale.

Because we actually close the company, we also see savings in things like utilities and gas costs. I have also tracked leave usage, and that has improved tremendously.

Even as I am writing this, I am dreaming of this Friday, which I will have all to myself. Love it.
This discussion has been closed.