Are Performance Evaluations Counterproductive?

A recent [I]New York Times[/I] column suggests its time to get rid of workplace evaluations as counterproductive and too stressful. Have you considered doing away with performance evaluations? Why or why not?

[url]http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/time-to-review-workplace-reviews/?th&emc=th[/url]

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well I agree with the idea that if you aren't doing them well, don't do them at all.

At their worst, annual reviews are demeaning, discouraging, and dishonest. Managers pour on all the stuff they should have dealt with during the last 12 months and the employee feels sucker punched. Or, worse, the manager says everything is "GREAT!" when its not.

I designed our system. Its meant to be a productive, interactive, mutually beneficial experience. And I still hate it! I hate being reviewed. Even if I get a glowing review I tend to dwell on the anything that even remotely feels like criticism.

I think the ideal situation would be to have managers give timely feedback throughout the year. At the annual review, the discussion should focus on setting goals for the next year and reviewing how the manager can help the employee.

I dont think annual reviews should include any suprises or any "areas for improvement".
  • We used to do the typical Annual Review. Like Paul said, many people (including myself) hate reviews - employees tend to focus on the one negative thing you say instead of the positives, and their notion of success or failure rests on that review. After analyzing our needs, we decided to get rid of the annual review process.

Instead, we have a form called the "One on One" form. Supervisor/managers are asked to meet with each of their employees, informally, on a regular basis (we recommend once a month). At these One on One meetings, the employees and their supervisors discuss goals, progress on projects, frustrations, successes, etc. During these chats, supervisors can conduct counseling sessions, if needed, in order to start the disciplinary process.

The thought behind this system is that the employees are receiving constant, timely feedback about their performance, which should allow them to do their jobs better. It also allows supervisors to keep track of what projects/goals employees are working on, and more quickly identify bottlenecks, problems, and employee issues.

The program is still in its infancy, but so far, so good!
  • I like performance reviews.

Sorry.

:)
  • Frank, no need to apologize -- please elaborate! thx tk
  • Our system ties in the performance rating with the increase in salary. It is NOT completely merit based, but without the rating I am not sure how we would allocate increases. Perhaps something like the US government which provides step increases based on length of service. I feel that demotivates and can contribute to a bunch of do-nothing employees just spending time.

Our system is not perfect, by any means. I spend a lot of time coaching managers to be proactive about feedback throughout the year and to be honest during the evaluation process -- and still the system has hiccups. During our annual review season, HR must read every evaluation looking for contradictions and inconsistencies. It is a lot of work!

However, with the multiple layers (self-evaluation, evaluation, review by HR and final review by general manager) in our current procedures, we have created a much fairer and true assessment of the staff. Of course, we are under 50 employees so it is doable for us.
  • "I like performance reviews." You are a very, very sick man, Frank.