Recruiting Efforts

My agency is responsible for the Head Start centers in 7 counties and some of the supervisors are wanting to "recruit" new staff (teachers, aides, volunteers) for the centers by standing in an area by a busy intersection holding signs. With no advertising in the local papers or radio, I'm afraid that people passing by in traffic will think there is some sort of "protest" going on and this could cause more confusion and questions than we really want. I am also considering safety and liability issues on our part. One of our personnel policies states that we are not allowed to solicit or distribute any type of information in the workplace during working hours, but this "recruiting" effort will take place on a weekend and not on center property. I would like some feedback and ideas if you have any. Thanks,

Paulette

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Personally I despise those businesses that pay people to stand on a street corner and hold a sign that reads "MATTRESS SALE TODAY!" I think its degrading.

I understand that your purpose is totally different but I think there are better and more effective ways to reach people than stand on a corner and hope a qualified individual happens to drive through. I think you are also correct to be concerned about the impression that your workplace is being protested.

My advice would be to determine the profile of the kind of person you are looking for and then target specifically to reach those people.

Lets say your volunteers tend to be people that have some connection to your program already. You might consider hosting a "volunteers open house night" and serve snacks and beverages. Invite as many people as you can to come and find out about the volunteering opportunities you have.

In other words, target your efforts towards the specific groups that are most likely to produce potential candidates.

Craigslist or Facebook might be resources to consider. You might even call your smaller local papers and invite them to come do a story about your Headstart program and need for volunteers.
  • I agree with Paul. A company who holds a sign up on a street corner to get me to come work for them would repel me.

I would suggest first that you let your parents know that you are looking for people and ask if they know anyone. You can also post jobs and volunteer positions at a number of online websites.

If you organization has a website, a facebook page, or a twitter account, you can also post your needs there. Be creative, but not so creative that you scare people away. :)
  • I agree with Paul & Nae Nae. There have got to be better ways to find people than standing on street corners holding signs. Around here a lot of organizations do that to get support for some sort of cause or during election times for candidates (with signs that say "Honk if you support whoever"). I just find it kind of ridiculous when I see that for any reason, and to see someone attempting to recruit that way would certainly be repellant to me.
  • Paulette,

"Recruiting" in traffic is soooo not cool. I think Paul's open-house idea is excellent. It will take a bit of thought and planning, but the results will be well worth the effort...and will provide a positive spin for your organization.
  • I agree with everyone else and think Paul's suggestion is really good. You could also use those volunteers to go to a local university or community college and put up posters/fliers in the student center, career center, and related departments (education, English, math, science --whatever subject you need covered).
  • I think there are probably better ideas, but I don't think the 'sign on the street corner' gig is all that awful, especially if you can provide a gorilla or Statue of Liberty suit to wear. Those seem to be popular here.

The open house idea is a great one, and remember - Craigslist is free.
  • If you just want attention, put Frank out on the corner.
  • It's tough to stand out here, because we already have 3-4 people working every intersection. It's crazy.
  • We are a trucking company so I know there are MANY differences, and I too agree with everyone else. We do not advertise for drivers ever! We have found over the years our best form of recruitment is our own staff. We put a bonus plan together for our staff. They help us to recruit other drivers who meet our standards. We are tough when it comes to hiring and I would imagine in your business you would need those extra standards for hiring staff as you are taking care of people's most valuable possessions! It is amazing at how our drivers find drivers that have the same work ethic and professional standard. I would be happy to share how we handle our bonus program it is tiered and the longer the employee is retained the more the recruiting driver earns.
  • I also work for a public agency, a public library, and we no longer have funding for newspapers, etc. However, I have great success with publishing on my website and also with the state unemployment agency. As a side bonus, they screen applicants for education level, prior employment in the same field, etc.