Flex Time

We are a public library with approximately 65 full time employees in 9 buildings. The Main Library is open 70 hours per week, the branches slightly less. Our mission is to provide access to information, which mainly comes in the form of employees interacting with the public at public service desks. We are looking at offering flex time and have concerns about balancing the business needs of the Library against the needs/wants of employees to have the ability to flex their time.

Because we are open so many hours with so few employees, we have to have coverage of the public service desks as a non-negotiable priority. We can’t serve the public if we are not available during our busiest times of the day.

Having said that, I would really like to be able to allow flex time. Please let me know what you allow flex time for. Is it only for education? For care-giving? Child care arrangements? Medical (that is separate from FMLA)?

What about some departments that have an absolute need to have employees here at stated times (employees that work the bookmobile, for example, as opposed to employees that work in a non-public part of the building). What if you have numerous requests in one department that will affect the ability to cover a service desk. How do you prioritize? Can some employees be allowed to flex when others are not allowed even though they have the same reason? Too many in a department at once, for example.

How do you state a policy that is reasonable without just letting employees set their own schedule?

Thanks in advance. I always get good advice from all of you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What we do in our office for flex hours is that each staff member requests their own schedule, and it is subject to approval by their manager.

Our phone receptionists, for example, have to be at the phones from about 7:00AM until 5:00PM. Their situation is more limiting, like your service desk. One of the two receptionists comes in early, and leaves at 4:00PM or 4:30PM. The other comes in later and stays until 5:00PM. The one with the most seniority gets first pick.

Before, we had a "core time" everyone was supposed to be here, but the start and end times could vary. It seemed like it took more managing that way. Our current policy works better, and people are happier.

HR Hat
  • Are you talking a permanent schedule change or as needed?

We did a permanent change which allowed us to be open longer and the two women in our group rotate a Friday or Wednesday afternoon off each week. they love it.

As needed, we allow for almost anything. . .as long as it is known in advance and approved by me. IE one employees is working thru her lunch today so she can leave early as she has two sick kids.