wacky workplace complaints

This article tickled my funny bone.

[url]http://ebn.benefitnews.com/news/wacky-workplace-complaints-2681544-1.html?ET=ebnbenefitnews:e283:1671735a:&st=email[/url]

What wacky complaints have you heard? I'll start off with:

Employee grabbed food off my plate during a Pot Luck.

Employee says, "Good morning" to me too often.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Im on vacation at the moment but I'll definitely have some wacky complaints for you Nae when I get back. Our unique environment here is conducive for wackiness.
  • [quote=NaeNae55;717469]

Employee says, "Good morning" to me too often.[/quote]

I've heard something similar; the person complained that the other employee was too "perky" when they said good morning.

Yes, I know, overly-perky people can be irritating, particularly before you've had your first cup of coffee in the morning, but is it really something that warrants a complaint to HR?!
  • Just today I had an assistant manager refuse to accept an employee's letter of resignation. She told the employee it would be a violation of HR rules, because the employee - who is quitting to go have a baby - didn't provide a doctor's note with the resignation letter.

The employee then came to me to complain about this fairly puzzling "HR rule".

Our assistant manager has really outdone herself, and I am concerned that I will be able to handle this level of idiocy in a professional manner.
  • You can do it, Frank! I know you can. Just put those pants on (temporarily) and go out there and do it! Do it! DO IT!!!!

**==
  • Wow, Frank, that's an interesting HR rule the assistant manager made up. After working in HR as long as I have, I often think I've heard it all, but then somebody manages to come along and raise the level of stupidity to a new high.
  • If that rule were true, then if you quit to go to a different employer would you then require a termination letter and a note from that new employer?
  • Wow, Plynn! What a great idea! (hands clapping smiley face) From now on, when someone wants to get hired here I will ask for a termination letter and note from the old employer. ::pb&J::
  • The same assistant manager has a history of poor judgment involving pregnant co-workers and outrageous 'maternal' missteps.

One of her direct reports lost a toddler in a car accident a few years ago. Last year, assistant manager decided to abort a risky pregnancy. She then told direct report "now that I've lost a child I know exactly how you feel". They had to literally be separated in the lobby. They behave a little better after a half-dozen EAP visits, but the tension is still there.
  • WOW!!! What an idiot! At my last job I had to tell a co-worker that her teenage daughter was just killed in a car accident. The look of horror on her face and her screams will forever be imbedded in my memory. I can understand why they would have to be separated. Again....what an idiot! :mad:
  • Ok...on a lighter note.....again at my last job there was an employee who complained about everything. She would come to me if the general manager wouldn't say good morning to her when he walked in at the beginning of the day. There are times when the word "Whatever" would fit so appropriately, but alas, I'm to put on a professional front no matter what I'm feeling inside. :ball and chain: :)
  • Well, two situations come to mind. One was an employee who complained that a coworker was using a voodoo doll to cause her pain and illness.

The other was a supervisor who rented a house she owned to one of her employees. She also bought the employee groceries as the employee was having financial difficulties (which should have been a clue to what happened next). After about the second month, the employee stopped paying rent. The supervisor wanted to know if she could fire the employee for the non-payment of rent.
  • [quote=ACU Frank;717491]The same assistant manager has a history of poor judgment involving pregnant co-workers and outrageous 'maternal' missteps.

One of her direct reports lost a toddler in a car accident a few years ago. Last year, assistant manager decided to abort a risky pregnancy. She then told direct report "now that I've lost a child I know exactly how you feel". They had to literally be separated in the lobby. They behave a little better after a half-dozen EAP visits, but the tension is still there.[/quote]

OMG, that is the most insensitive thing I've ever heard. I've lost a child myself and cannot imagine what I would do if anyone ever said anything like that to me, although I don't imagine it would be pretty.
  • I had an employee that received a mark of "adequate" for initiative on an annual review. She then wrote a rebuttal stating that of her on accord she cleaned up "those little bits of paper on the floor" in the employee bathroom, so she did indeed have initiative. It was just that no one noticed.
  • Now THAT's funny!! Hope she also took the initiative to wash her hands afterward.