Tattoos Receding in the Recession

Check out John Phillips' blog post about a biz that's doing surprisingly well in the recession. The new growth industry [insert drumroll here] is --[U]tattoo removal[/U]. tk[B]

[URL]http://tinyurl.com/mm7xm4[/URL][/B]

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That's interesting. My DIL, who is currently a stay-at-home mom, just got her fourth tattoo and I asked her after she got it whether she'd thought about it in the context of returning to work eventually (trust the HR Manager in me to never be completely "off the clock"!) It's in a spot high enough on her back that it's nearly on her neck and unless she is very careful with her tops or always wears her hair down, at least part of it is going to show. She said that she knew she'd always have to wear something high enough to cover it for most jobs, but I truly don't think she was thinking about that when she got it there and I think at some point she will regret it, particularly when she goes back to work and finds that it's going to show with many of the clothes she wears. (And I promise not to say "I told you so" when she ends up deciding to have it removed!)
  • I think another growth industry will be "emberassing photos on the internet removal".
  • If someone comes up with a solid way to do it, I will invest!
  • [quote=cnghr;717326]That's interesting. My DIL, who is currently a stay-at-home mom, just got her fourth tattoo[/quote]

I know several people who have recently gotten tattoed. Maybe it is the age of my friends (mid life crisis anyone?) but it seems to be a trend - one I don't understand, but a trend nonetheless.
  • I think in my daughter-in-law's case it's because she's been in full-time mommy mode for four years now, so in a way she's kind of reasserting her youth & independence. She got her first tattoo when she was a teenager and then waited over ten years before she got the next one, and now she's gotten two more in about a month. The three she's gotten in the last year are all very personal and meaningful to her, which I guess is better than some silly generic thing, but I still don't understand what almost seems like an addiction to getting tattoos.

After my son died, I almost got a tattoo of a sketch that he had drawn, but none of the tattoo artists here at that time were very good and I didn't want something put on my body permanently if it wasn't just exactly the way I wanted it. We have good tattoo artists here now, but luckily my urge to be tattooed has long since passed.
  • My daughter pestered me all through her high school years to let her get a tattoo. She's 26 now and about two years ago, finally got one or at least the start of one. She showed me this elaborate illustration she was going to have tattooed on her lower back just above her jeans line.

I noticed over the weekend that she still has only the base line of the design. Seems it hurt like the dickins and she's had a change of attitude when it comes to tattoos. Doesn't think they're so cool anymore. I told her I'd pay to have it removed if she want. She said thanks but no thanks.

She does still have those huge ear piercings though. Instead of a tiny, tiny hole for a pierced earring, she has a hole I could stick my little finger through. It looks sort of like a small tire wheel stuck in her earlobe. Ick.

Sharon
  • [quote=Sharon McKnight SPHR;717420]

She does still have those huge ear piercings though. Instead of a tiny, tiny hole for a pierced earring, she has a hole I could stick my little finger through. It looks sort of like a small tire wheel stuck in her earlobe. Ick.

Sharon[/quote]

Ick is right. I hate the look of those!
  • [quote=cnghr;717421]Ick is right. I hate the look of those![/quote]

I'm just happy that she's not pierced all over and isn't covered in tattoos. Now, if I could just get her to lose the "I know everything and you don't attitude ... "

Sharon :)
  • Give up on the attitude, Sharon. :ball and chain: It's a waste of time. :D

I don't necessarily like the big hole earrings, but after seeing the tribe in Aftrica that works hard on having a lower lip that protrudes several inches, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.
  • My son had those "big holes" in his ears, and believe it or not they do close up when they stop wearing the things that keep them open. He does have tatoos and I don't think regrets them, but covers them up when he goes on job interviews etc. He also has realized that we weren't wrong when we encouraged him to get a college degree and now as a married man working full time and paying a house note is going back to get that degree. They do grow up eventually and realize we know a little something about life! (He's nearly 26)
  • [quote=Susan in La;717445]My son had those "big holes" in his ears, and believe it or not they do close up when they stop wearing the things that keep them open. He does have tatoos and I don't think regrets them, but covers them up when he goes on job interviews etc. He also has realized that we weren't wrong when we encouraged him to get a college degree and now as a married man working full time and paying a house note is going back to get that degree. They do grow up eventually and realize we know a little something about life! (He's nearly 26)[/quote]

Those ear holes really do grow back together even if they are as big around as my finger? Amazing. My daughter told me they would, but I was very skeptical.
  • I'm surprised that those huge piercing holes can close up. Even my little tiny regular earring holes don't close completely if I leave earrings out, although the longest I've left them out is something like six weeks so maybe if I left earrings out longer than that they would. Or maybe it's just because mine have been pierced for over 30 years.

I've seen footage on t.v. of some people in primitive tribes who have the huge holes pierced in their ears and it didn't look like they would ever close once they were healed.
  • My wife still has earring holes (just the "normal" ones) that haven't closed up after 20 years.
  • Congratulations on your anniversary!

I can't help thinking that after 24 years with you that perhaps she is just 'holy.' :p
  • Holy? Since we are in the HR-de-har-har section of the forum, is it okay to take the easy road with a retort involving a 'vow of chastity'?
  • :)

Sorry Sir! I forgot, wedding anniversary and 'vow of chastity' don't really go together do they? Of course, I could say something about it depending upon who you are married to....but I'll let that opportunity slide.

**==