Hiring girlfriend is legal, therefore OK?

Rarely have I seen a government official make such a public case for the right to hire his girlfriend if he wants to do so (well, after all, it apparently isn't illegal in D.C.). At least Mayor Barry deserves some credit for saying what he thinks. What do you think? tk [B]

[URL]http://tinyurl.com/lyjq9t[/URL][/B]

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Another case of you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, so to speak. Graft and political corruption have been around many years. Oklahoma went through this in the 70's with county commissioners, many of whom ended up serving time in jail. Our governmental leaders and many of our country's business leaders are morally bankrupt. Until we develop a strong moral conscience and elect morally ethical politicians or hire morally ethical individuals to run our businesses, our downward spiral will continue. What ever happened to people living by a personal code of ethics and doing the right thing because it is right, not because of whom is looking?::angryface::

Thanks, Tony. I needed to vent this morning.
  • The man smoked crack with hookers while Mayor. Why are they hassling him over this petty issue. At least he is creating jobs.
  • At least he's supporting the American girlfriend industry, unlike Sanford.
  • No surprise here - Barry grew up in Memphis...and would fit in great with our current local government. Our current mayor has resigned, then rescinded, then resigned again, then changed the date, then changed the date again, then not signed the resignation, etc. If he were my employee he would be out the door!
  • um...technically he is your employee. Voters have the right to put people in office, and the right to take them out. Like most things in life, it is a lot harder to fix than to do it right in the first place.

Here our political leaders are not so bad. We can always compare them to our person who craves the national spotlight...Fred Phelps. (Pssst...be careful...local people who vocalize their displeasure with his group mysteriously end up with slashed tires, legal problems and other issues that weigh them down...don't tell anyone I mentioned him.)
  • [quote=NaeNae55;716900]um...technically he is your employee. Voters have the right to put people in office, and the right to take them out. Like most things in life, it is a lot harder to fix than to do it right in the first place.[/quote]

Nope, I am not a resident of Memphis; just have the joy of working and living here for now.

It is sad that he keeps getting elected but there are reasons for that (he believes it is because he was "appointed by God"). There was an attempt at a recall but it failed.

I won't tell on you if you won't tell on me. O:)
  • Nae, just reading Phelps' name sends shivers down my spine. If there is a more vile human being on the planet, I haven't heard of him.
  • [quote=ACU Frank;716914]Nae, just reading Phelps' name sends shivers down my spine. If there is a more vile human being on the planet, I haven't heard of him.[/quote]

I've never heard of Phelps. Who is he and what has he done to incur such wrath?
  • Just google Fred Phelps or Westboro Baptist church
  • Wow! Just clicked on the "God Hates Fred Phelps" website.

Is he really Michael Phelps' father?
  • lol

I guess someone must really hate Michael Phelps to suggest that. lol

FP has been on 60 Minutes a number of times. Local authorities here have spent hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars trying to prosecute him to no avail. He is a disbarred lawyer, but many family members work in law and they are all very knowledgable. The church, by the way, is closed. You can only go to it if you have been invited.

Most family members spend their days protesting around town or working to supply income for their cause. A few family members have left the family and moved far away (Canada for instance).

The really sad part is that he first gained a reputation when he fought for people of color and won several lawsuits. Check him out on wikipedia. He is getting old, but I have been told that the cause won't die with him. I hear his grandson is just like him.
  • A real Soddom and Gamora kind of guy. :-O
  • In one of his more recent incarnations, Phelps has gathered hundreds of members of his 'flock' to picket the funerals of soldiers who were killed in action. His favorite picket sign reads "God Hates Fags" - his premise is that 9/11 and the ensuring wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are God's punishment for tolerance of homosexuality.
  • No point in discussing Phelps. He is of no consequence and all he wants is attention.