Splenda Hint

Yahoo Mo mentioned this item on the key lime thread. The food channel over the weekend had a ton of shows on about grilling and lo-carb stuff. One recipe called for a ton of sugar in with other stuff in the electric mixing bowl. The host said to substitute Splenda and it would taste the same. But, he cautioned to push the Splenda into the other ingredients with a wooden spoon, or otherwise, it's so light that when you flip on the mixer it will fly and float all over the room.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-02-04 AT 04:08PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Don't the latest studies show that the lo-carb thing is no different over time than other diets? I refuse to give up my pasta and taters! xx(

Sorry Don, I'm on the see food diet. I don't know how many BTU's are expended while using a yo-yo but there is probably a government grant to a grad student who is completing a thesis on it.
  • There are no 'other programs of this (carb) nature'. Over time, the results are whatever you make them. To yo-yo or not to yo-yo, that is the question.
  • I've had first-hand experience with Splenda. My husband picked up my box of Splenda, opened the little pourer spout, shook the box and said, "Honey, this box is empty. I think you need more Splenda." The box was actually full and we had Splenda all over the kitchen. It really is a mess--like a very fine powder--so be careful when you work with it. I saw that segment about mixing it in the mixer and the chef was right!
  • Do you use Splenda to = the sugar amount or just to reduce it?
  • My wife poured out both sugar cannisters and replaced it all with Splenda. I don't know the cost but, to me, it tastes the same, at least in 49 of the states.
  • No reduction with the Splenda. Whatever the amount of sugar the recipe calls for is the same amount of Splenda you use. It tastes just like sugar too. No aftertaste like the other sugar substitutes have.
  • I have a friend that works for a food company that's been developing products using splenda rather than sugar...and I complained that sometimes stuff with splenda tastes metallic...he said that unlike sugar and other sweeteners it doesn't mask the flavor of the food....so yes, some things that have been processed using metal equipment may have a bit of that flavor-which would usually be hidden by sugar.

I find that splenda bakes and cooks just as well as sugar....I've not had to adjust many recipes...i just use splenda instead.
  • I use Splenda in everything in place of sugar. The low carb diets are good in that we reduce or eliminate a lot of processed and enriched foods and eat better, but it is too hard to stick to religiously. The real key is still fatty foods. Reducing fat intake makes your body burn its fat reserves - reducing carb intake lessens the amount of fat you have to burn - I hate diets.
    Have to go - if I'm going to post my picture here soon I have to either walk laps around the warehouse or learn to suck in my thighs!
  • reducing carb intake lessens the
    >amount of fat you have to burn - I hate diets.

Actually reducing carb intake reduces carbs (duh). Your body processes (burns) carbohydrates prior to burning fat. Therefore if you stay loaded up on carbs, you may burn carbs only, if you burn anything at all. Without the pile of carbs in the woodrack, your body reaches into the fat pile and burns a stick of fat instead. Burning carbs doesn't reduce your weight. Burning fat does.

• I read an interesting article recently on CNN regarding the latest long-term study on diets. Essentially, the study found that, overall, the best diet is one which reduces fat, carb as well as caloric intake. In other words, a well-rounded diet. According to the study, the problem with some of these diets is that they take a radical approach to weight loss which allows someone to eat a poor diet (low carb, high fat) and lose weight without exercise. At the end, you have a skinny, unhealthy person (in terms of heart and other cardiovascular problems). The study also found that after 5 years, 4 in 5 Atkins, South Beach, etc dieters had regained all the weight while the "well-rounded" dieters had lost similar amounts of weight (just not as quickly and with more exercise)and kept it off.

Splenda, shplenda!
  • I had a friend with high cholesteral. She went on Atkins. I told her NO, but she did anyway. Amazing thing, she lost 30 (has put back about half) but lowered her cholesteral to a point where she's off meds. Weird, I thought.
  • My cholesterol dropped 30pts the last time I did Atkins.
  • >Splenda, shplenda!<

I'm not on Adkins or any other diet, but I LOVE Splenda! Sacchrin and all of that other stuff just can't be dandy for you. Plus, this stuff just tastes better.

I read about a study once on the effects of saccarin in Trident gum on lab rats - showing that saccharin caused cancer. Now granted, the rats were injected with an amount of the substance that would be equivalent to chewing 10 packs per hour every hour for 20 years, but hey???? x:D