I hate cel phones

I just had an interview with someone whose cel phone went off twice and both times she answered to say she was busy. I decided I would tell her the company policy on cel phones (basically they have to be off during working hours). She ended the interview saying the company was behind the times. Last night, at restaurant, we learned about the love life of some stranger who was at the next table and talking on the phone, not to her companion.
It seems I can't go anywhere without hearing someone on the phone or hear the phone ringing---the theater, the concert, the bus, the restaurant, any store ever created etc. I just don't understand it. I seem to be the only one in the world whose phone is off most of the time. My idea of a concert is not
Bizet's Carmen played by a phone.
Sorry, just had to vent or maybe I want to know I am not alone.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-23-03 AT 11:45AM (CST)[/font][p]You're not behind the times, you just have proper etiquette. I have my phone with me all the time turned on, but I set it to vibrate when needed. If I was in an interview it would be turned off. I don't know when a cell phone conversation took priority over others around us, but I don't like it either. In CA they are thinking about making it illegal to talk on the cell phone in a car without a hands free kit. I used to be against it, but now I'm for it, people just don't know how to drive when they are talking on a phone, and in CA everybody is talking on the phone in their car.
  • I agree with you both. People who drive and talk on the cell phone is really looking for trouble if you are in an accident. You can be criminally charged if it is proven you were talking on your cell phone while in a injury,death accident.

As far as phone etiquette there is none according to the people using them in interviews, movies, resturants it's all about me. I say leave them at home or shut the darn thing off. It drives me nuts sometimes.
  • I agree that it is all about where and when you use your phone. Cell phones are a great invention and I know I am addicted to mine, but I never answer (or have the ringer on) at work or in the movies. I have been known to call my husband when at the grocery store and I admit I use it in the car, I'm trying to break that habit.

Here's what I hate about cell phones:
    Those annoying walkie talkies! Hearing one side of a conversation is one thing but both? AAAAAAAAAHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Bloop... "Hi, Janie!", Bloop "Hey! Hows your Dad?"...Bloop "Not doing well" Bloop... MAKE IT STOP!!
  • Wow - The HR people are venting this week!

I TOTALLY AGREE about the cell phones. Yesterday evening I was at the Y using a treadmill and keeping one eye on the news on the small TV in front of our treadmills. A young woman hopped on the treadmill beside me, pulled out her phone and enthusiastically called every other 20-something person in our four state area to arrange getting together later last night. I understand that exercise places are not typically quiet places, but I don't want to listen to other people's conversations. The groaning and panting of out-of-shape people is good enough for me.

I used to leave my cell phone on all the time until I had friends who would call me during work hours and/or expected me to chat while grocery shopping. (Which might would have made that experience better - see other thread) I recently decided the phone was for MY convenience - not theirs and now leave my phone off, unless I am expecting a call, or have reason to believe a family member might need me and I'm out of the office.

Zanne

• Makes it easy to decide not to hire that person.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-23-03 AT 02:54PM (CST)[/font][p]Two stories about the evils of cell phones:

1. I have been driving for, well, let's just say a long time. I had never been in an accident. I was taking my son to school, and he was late. So, of course, I had to call the school to tell them we were on our way so I wouldn't have to get out of the car at the office, thus making me late for work (two lates don't make an early, or something like that)! Anyhow I was glancing down at my cell phone to search for the high school's number when I hear my son yell, "Brake!" I instinctively did, but it was too late to come to a stop from 45 mph - like the little Toyota truck in front of me had. So now it's three years later, the accident has finally fallen off my insurance, and I have learned at least one thing - you can talk on the cell phone in the car, but with eyes straight ahead. I think hands free should be a law.

2. My significant other is the patriotic sort - not that there's anything wrong with that, except that he has his cell phone ring set to the Star Spangled Banner. And his phone is not one that beeps - it's one where you can program in a full orchestrated version. But he's in construction - a concrete contractor. And this morning, when his finish crew was late on a job site, he gets a phone call. It was 4 a.m. What a challenge it was to be snatched from the arms of Morpheus only to feel as if you should be standing at attention. I am going to swipe his phone and change that ring if it's the last thing I do.
  • I agree! I sit next to one of our sales people who has one of the most annoying rings ever... The song "Thats the way uh huh uh huh I like it uh-huh-uh-huh" It rings every twenty minutes and I sware he must know when it is going to ring because he mysteriously walks away from his desk leaving his phone behind so I have to hear the entire song! I tried to put a policy in place to eliminate cell phones and it got rejected by upper management. Now it has become one of those tunes that I go to bed humming!
  • I agree with the other posts It's just another example of how social graces and etiquette and just plain good manners are going down the tubes.

I carry a beeper and a phone, both are on vibrate when I am in a public place. If I am in a restaurant, I excuse myself to go to the lobby or stand outside the front door to carry on my conversation. I am sure if I don't give a darn about someone's love life sitting at the next table, they sure as heck don't care about what's going on back at my office.

You can just about bet if you get behind someone driving erratically in rush hour traffic and you pass them, they are on their cell phone.

Whew! That felt almost as good as the grocery store vent!
  • Okay, one more thing to vent about...

I have a coworker who leaves her cell-phone on vibrate, but she leaves it on her desk- So when she walks away, which is quite frequently, it vibrates all over the desk! I tell you it's getting old and I am tempted to bring in a cushion for her phone x:).

Have a good weekend everyone!
  • A friend told me today that one person got two (yes, two) calls on her cell phone during a funeral service. I can understand someone being distraught and forgetting to turn the durn thing off before the service, but she took the call and then left the phone on.

I personally love the convenience of the cel phone. My family can reach me in a crisis or leave a message if I'm not answering. The key is to have common sense enough to know when to leave it off.

• I resisted getting a cell phone until being stranded in DFW for 12 hours changed my mind about it. However, even today I forget to turn the stupid thing on and I keep it in my briefcase, so I never remember having it. In fact, I just got an e-mail from a friend who asked me if I got the voice mail she left for me on my cell phone yesterday. Never turned the phone on, so I didn't know I had one.

Oh, well. When I started this post there was a point to the story but I'll be darned if I can remember what it was. x;-)
  • As of today, April 26 2003, I have no cell phone. No pager or beeper either.

No I am not Amish. I am partly "anti-cell phone" but I do understand their convenience and they are awfully handy in emergencies.

My 7 year old daughter will have one when she is old enough to drive but only for emergencies. And the latest sale at the Gap is not an emergency.

I think we desperately need cell phone etiquette. The problem is that etiquette on a whole is totally out of fashion these days.

The other day during church, right when the pastor was asking the congregation to consider their immortal souls and make the decision to be right with their Maker, a cell phone went off. To me this is proof enough cell phones originated from hell.

Paul

p.s. Most of the above is to be taken tongue in cheek.
  • Tongue in cheek? Darn, I agree completely. I do have a pager which I use only when out of the office, no one has the number except my support staff, my boss and my kids. I refuse to get a cell phone. (Actually, I did get one once, but since it never worked unless I was standing on one foot on the roof with an antenna in one hand, I finally got disgusted and threw it out the window of my vehicle....while traveling at 55 mph). It seems there are few towers here in the "frozen north" and reception is nearly non-existent unless you go to the nearest "big city" 50 miles away. It's fine by me....although we do have a couple of doctors that carry pagers and they have been beeped in church.

That said, my 20 year old daughter commutes to college 50 miles away. She does have a cell phone in her car, to be used in emergencies only. It's one of those old bag types, the reception is great, but she sure can't carry it to class!! If she has trouble she calls AAA, or 911, or Mom. She has never had to use it.

Annie
  • I have reached the age of working slowly into "eccentric" old lady (46).
    If someone chooses to share their personal life within my hearing range,
    which isn't half of what it used to be, I generously offer verbal
    solutions, suggestions, improvements, answers, etc. I honestly don't
    care what that person thinks, feels, etc. because they started the
    conversation. Anyway, I am polite if there is no alternative (small
    business jet etc.on business activity) but social arrangements, general
    whining about self-created problems, well... they're open game!!!
  • I had a co-worker who would use his cell phone in the restroom. I always made sure to flush loudly a few times. x}>

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • James............

I LUV your sense of humor.................
  • Is there a way to flush "softly"?
  • I also hate cell phones. I recently got one in an effort to cut back on my long distance phone bills, but I only use it when I have to. I think it is extremely rude to make or take calls while you are in public. I liken it to being in a restaruant for dinner and having people randomly show up because they want to talk to you. Certain time should be private, and there are very few things in life that can't be put on hold for an hour or so. My biggest pet peeve is when I am speaking with someone on the telephone, and their cell phone rings so they ask me to hold on while they take the call. That tells me my call is not as important as the other call. I have decided in the future I will hang up whenever that happens.

Ah! I feel better.