Confidentiality Agreement

I started with this company as the HR Manager at the top of August.
I need a good confidenitality agreement especially for Human Resources. Even though I haven't caught this one person in my department blabbing about salaries, terminations, etc., I have heard from several employees that she has. I want to get this together so that she along with so many others can realize that they can lose their jobs for discussing such issues.
Can someone help me out?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I will send that to you . In fact if you like I can share my handbook with you. I just revised it and the College Class just went through it for me and I am getting ready to distribute it to the staff as soon as it passes by the management.

I have it in Word.

Shirley
  • I have been looking for a confidentiality agreement for HR employees so I would love to see a copy of yours if you don't mind.

[email]ginger.mason@btol.com[/email]

Thanks,
    Ginger
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-19-07 AT 07:32AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I am having a similar problem. We issued a bonus, the employees talked to each other, and many got upset that their bonus was not as much as someone else's bonus. What was intended to reward staff and improve morale ended up harming morale. I understand what vphr said about the workers' rights to discuss such matters and not violating labor laws by putting a policy in to place that forbids divulging salary information to coworkers. So what CAN we do to reduce the likelyhood of employees comparing salary information? I know I personally wouldn't want to share my own salary or bonus info with a coworker, but apparently some people don't mind.

Shirley, would you mind sending your handbook with confidentiality statement in it to me as well? I'd like to compare our current statement with yours if you dont' mind. [email]kzulauf@lccap.org[/email]

(sorry, posted message twice because I couldn't find my original message in the thread and I can't delete it now)
  • Shirley,

I would appreciate a copy of your handbook.

[email]dbaker@detroit.lib.mi.us[/email]

Thank you, Dottie
  • Bootsie,
    As discussed not too long ago on this forum, you need to be extremely careful about policies and practices that prohibit discussions of wages. Under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), employees have the right discuss among themselves "wages, hours, terms and conditions of employment" Even if your organization is non-union, employees have the right to discuss their pay amongst themselves, and policies that forbid the activity can be construed as a barrier to employees' right to "concerted activity". That being said, you can prohibit someone in HR from disclosing confidential information related to disciplinary issues, employee performance issues, medical information and the disclosure of pay levels of management, ampng other things. But be very careful about implementing and enforcing a blanket policy that forbids all employees from discusing their pay with each other. You very well could be violating labor law.
  • I understand that Bootsie is trying to find a policy to help with an HR employee devulging other's salary information. Not the employees amongst themselves.

Bootsie I sent the policy I have to you, I hope it helps in a small way. You are welcome to use what you need from it.

Shirley
  • I don't beleive she was discussing just the HR person. She states that "...she along with so many others realize that they can lose their jobs discussing such issues" I'm just pointing out that such a complete prohibition of discussing wages can certainly be challenged on legal grounds.
  • WILD - We are revising our info manual so I would appreciate a copy of yours that has already been reviewed (passed muster, I like that). Email: [email]allsteaks@yahoo.com[/email]
    On the discussion of pay/salary, I agree with both of you; an employee can discuss their own pay, but other employee info can be considered confidential, as with all other personal info. If effective performance reviews are done prior to raise or bonus distribution, employees should be less prone to discuss them with others because they know why they are what they are. Not that we do them all the time, but it's a good theory.

• I am having a similar problem. (Not with HR staff, but with all staff.) We issued a bonus, the employees talked to each other, and many got upset that their bonus was not as much as someone else's bonus. What was intended to reward staff and improve morale ended up harming morale. I understand what vphr said about the workers' rights to discuss such matters and not violating labor laws by putting a policy in to place that forbids divulging salary information to coworkers. So what CAN we do to reduce the likelyhood of employees comparing salary information? I know I personally wouldn't want to share my own salary or bonus info with a coworker, but apparently some people don't mind.

Shirley, would you mind sending your handbook with confidentiality statement in it to me as well? I'd like to compare our current statement with yours if you dont' mind. [email]kzulauf@lccap.org[/email]
  • I sent a copy of the handbook to you two ladies that requested it. I hope it helps.

It is true as others have voiced that we cannot keep employees from talking about their salary and be in compliance with governmental regulations.

I do agree that if the employee knows what he/she is getting than they are more content.

I tell my employees that discussing the salary of a co worker is a violation of company policy.

Now they can say what they make, but should they say well Sally makes more than I do , she makes $____than they have violated the rules and can be chastised for that transgression. Most of the time the person will not just talk about his/her salary.

What you are looking for may not be in the handbook or in the confidentiality statement, however it might just be in your procedures for the HR department.

You all do have a written SOP book to refer to, am I not correct? Than it probably has a statement in it somewhere about the confidentiality between HR and the employees.

Shirley
  • Good Morning- rather than start a new thread- I hope this message will renew this thread.

I, too, am looking for a general confidentiality agreement.

Thanks much- and greatly appreciated if sent to [email]beverleeg@jessamineco.com[/email]