Arizona Law ASAP

I was told that by AZ law we are not required to provide employees with copies of their performance appraisal or corrective action (I was told they are company property which I know already. However it is the employee review). My company WILL NOT provide these documents for the employees.
I thought that this issue is a standard labor law not a state labor law.
I just moved from Connecticut and we provide our employees of copies of their reviews.
Could you please clarify this for me.
Thanks

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I joined this company, they had (and still have) a policy and practice of not giving the ee a copy of their review. I think this serves absolutely no purpose, useful or otherwise. Since I'm in HR, I can 'manage' to get a copy of mine! Every other place I have ever worked presented a copy to the ee, which I think serves two purposes: It allows the ee a reference copy to glance at occasionally to review suggestions for improvement, and, It allows the ee something to sneak an occasional peek at to relish the really complimentary things about performance. That can really reverse a bad day! Like others on The Forum often say, "If they want it bad enough, they're going to get a copy anyway, even if through subpoena". No federal law addresses this and I doubt if any state law does.
  • Thank you Don. I agree with you 100%. It is frustating to me to say to an employee NO you can not have a copy of your review, etc.
  • Lots of state's have laws that give employees rights to see and have copies of documents related to them. Texas does not, but many other states require employers to allow employees to review the file annually to make corrections, or require employers to give employees a copy of requested documents.

I vote for giving them a copy -- for example, if the performance review says that the employee needs to meet certain objections, what good is it if the employee can't have a copy to help him or her keep them in mind.

Good Luck.