Leave in Personnel file or not?

Two questions:

1) Emergency contact form asks for any health related info: employee discloses a heart murmur. What would you do with that info?

2) Employee has court orders for protection. Should these be part of the employee file?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would keep both out of the personnel file and in a seperate file.

1. Medical information is confidential and must be kept confidentially.

2. People who might normally access information in personnel file (like supervisor) do not need to know about the information.

3. As for the "protection order", I am not sure what that entails, but unless it needs to be generally known by the people you would expect to review the file, I would keep it seperately.

Good Luck
  • I would have to agree that you are probably best off to put those documents in a seperate file.

I hope you don't mind if I vent but I am frustrated by having to seperate health, age, race information from an employees file. It seems unnecessary. To me some of these laws are passed down by people that make no considerations for those of us living in the real world doing our best to be fair and honest with all of our employees.

When I hire or promote a person, I do so based on their ability to do the job well. I couldn't care less if their file says they have an allergy to wheat. Discrimination of any form is wrong and bad for business. But discrimination starts in the heart, not the personnel file.

Frustrated in Cannon Beach,

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • I appreciate both responses and agree with your frustration. It seems to me that asking an innocent question on an emergency form that leads to setting up a medical file when the person who needs to know is the supervisor when/if there is an emergency. And I suppose should act as thought the condition doesn't exist....

frustrating!!!!!!
  • With regards to the emergency form which discloses a medical condition. I would keep that in a seperate Health file away from the personnel file. In looking at the second part of the question...I believe I would file it seperately also. Just to be on the safe side.

Good Luck!!