Job Description Organization

Does anyone have any good ways to keep job descriptions organized and up-to-date? It seems like I get a handle on them and then a year later I have to reorganize all over again.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I keep ours in a large 3 ring binder. I place the jd's in clear plastic sleeves. It has worked for me. Every position description is reviewed and updated as vacated The others, unfortunately, are catch as catch can. Have thought of going to one of the software programs and wonder what others think of them?
  • We review all job descriptions annually along with the annual performance reviews. An item that the supervisor needs to check off on the performance review form is that the job description was reviewed with employee and updated if needed.
  • We keep the job descriptions in a three ring binder. Each employee is given a copy of their job description and a copy is kept in their personnel file. If any changes are made, updates are done at that time and copied in the appropriate places.
  • We keep our job descriptions in a Microsoft Word file. We make a folder called, "job descriptions" and place all employees' job description in that file. When it is time for the employee's review, human resources gives the supervisor an electronic copy of the job description. The supervisor updates the job description as needed and sends it back electronically to human resources. Each file is saved by using the employee's appropriate job title with the last two digits being the year the review was done. Example - diroffinance01. If there are two positions with the same job title but some of the tasks vary, we add the employee's initials to the file name. When human resources receives the job description for the year 2001, the 2000 job description is deleted. Hope this helps.
  • I use Knowledgepoint's Descriptions Now software to create my job descriptions. This program allows me to add or delete functions as needed. It is very user friendly, even a computer novice can point and click. They are not very "pretty" as a document goes, but the descriptions can be moved into any word processing program. Each description is saved in a department folder and a hard copy is placed in a binder. When annual reviews are done, job descriptions are updated.