Commissioned Inside-Sales

One of our departments is comprised solely of Recruiters (headhunters). They are on a Draw vs. Commission compensation plan. The Hourly and non-sales Exempt employees clock in and out on an automated time system on their PC's. The company is now asking the Recruiters to do the same thing.

My understanding is that Exempt employees that are white collar can be docked for half and full days missed under an existing PTO system, which we have and use. They clock in and out, but we really only monitor them in the system to see if they missed a whole or half day, and don't really pay attention to anything else (like if they clocked in at 10 and left at 4, we don't really care unless they are doing it every day).

But exempt employees that are in sales and commissioned basically get the same amount of pay each week regardless of days/hours worked, unless they receive more because they are cashing a commission check, and having them clock in and out is sort of beside the point because they aren't really getting any type of PTO.

While they need to consistently be in the office to get work done, I know they also routinely make calls, interview candidates, etc. outside of business hours and I don't want them to think of themselves as hourly folks.

What is your experience with this?

Kendall L. Waldock, Jr., J.D., CSP
HR Manager/Recruitment Manager
Diversified Professional Staffing
w: (888) 350-2001, c: (816) 918-7334
Placing HR Professionals is my specialty!

Comments