Training and Payment

My office is based in Alabama, with employees in several different states.

We are considering placing a contingency offer with a new hire on the basis of completion of training. We would pay for his airfare and expenses to receive the training out of state, but were not sure if we were obligated to pay him wages during the training.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It depends on the nature of the training. If it is general to the industry (such as a nurse maintaining her licensure requirements), you are not require to consider it time worked. However (and more likely), if it is specific to your business, it will be considered time worked and therefore compensable.

Al Vreeland
    Editor, Alabama Employment Law Letter
    Lehr Middlebrooks Price & Vreeland, P.C.

• Thank you so much for responding. That was my sense, but I was not sure where the governing law or rule is located. Could you tell me where I can find more information?

Again, thank you for your quick response!
  • MYSTATE: Welcome to the forum, and quick and good responses is what it is all about. From time to time, we do get to have fun with our postings, but all in all the response to your concern was well worth the membership.

Have another Blessed day tomorrow as wee elect George W. Bush, President of these United states.

PORK