Points Based Attendance Policies

As I read through the posts, I see a lot of reference to points-based attendance policies.

If you are using one, how exactly does it work for you? What are the pros and cons? Could you send me a sample policy?

We are not currently using such a system and I hadn't considered changing to one, but I was intrigued by all the mention of them!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our policy is set up as such: 1 Point for tardy or unscheduled leave early, 2 Points for a call in, 1 Point for an absence with a doctor's excuse, possible termination for a No Call/No Show.

Each point stays on the employees record until the anniversary date of the point. It is then removed. We also allow the following ways to have points removed: 1 Point for 90 days perfect attendance, 2 points for participating in any blood drives we sponsor, 2 points for serving on various employee committees (picnic, employee council, safety), and 2 points if an employee participates in and passes company sponsored Red Cross CPR and First Aid courses.

New employees are allowed only 6 points in the first ninety days of employment. After 90 days they fall into the full time category and are allowed 20 points in a twelve month period. Progressive dicipline goes: Counseling after each point, 8 points a written warning, 12 points 2nd written warning, 16 points a three day suspension and at 20 points termination.

The main problem is consistent enforcement with all the departments. Haven't figured that one out yet!
  • Our policy is points based as well. It is as follows:

1 point for any absence under 4 hours during a shift.
    2 points for any absence 4 hours or more during a shift.
    4 points for a no call/no show (have to call within one hour of the start of the shift).
    Points run on a "rolling" year which means they drop off one year from the date they were given.
    An Oral warning with written verification is given at 8 points, a formal written warning is give at 10 points, 12 points is a 3-day suspension and 14 points is termination.
    Employees are not provided any opportunities to "earn back" points.
    Employees are allowed twice during the year to provide a drs. slip for an absence (or set of absences) and not receive any points.
    Exceptions to points are vacation, holiday, FMLA, worker's compensation, management approved leave of absence, educational conferences, funeral, layoff, and having to pick a sick child up from school or daycare. Some of these exceptions require written verification of the need.
    This policy was new in 2002 and I came on board right after it was implemented. Consistent enforcement was a problem so now supervisors are no longer able to "excuse" an absence. This is done through either myself or the plant manager.
    Hope this helps!
  • We operate under a "No Fault" policy and record attendance incidents. Any absence, tardy at the beginning of a shift or from lunch or leaving shift early is an incident. We allow 4 in a rolling 6 month period, on the 5th is a written warning, 6 = a 3 day suspension and 7 within the six months is termination.
  • Thanks for the info! Sounds like if you handle the tallies yourself it would be a fantastic program - easy to quantify attendance problems.

Have any of you had to educate multiple supervisors in tracking this themselves? How did it go? What worked for you?

I have 17 location directors who are capable of doing this but like everyone else, they have a thousand things to do in a day. I can see this falling through the cracks until they need the info to take action on chronic problems. How do you make sure the people tracking this do it consistently without just waiting until the info is needed only to find out it's not there?
  • Each of our supervisors do track their own employees attendance. Each EE (approx. 350) has a 12 month attendance calendar on which any and all absences are recorded each week when the supervisor signs the time cards. Each sup is responsible for administering the oral/written/suspensions and channels documentation to HR. We do reward for monthly perfect attendance so the sups turn in a monthly recap for each EE. I also conduct quarterly audits of all sup's attendance records and have found that they do an excellent job of staying current.