You make HOW much?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-08-02 AT 02:33PM (CST)[/font][p]I know that the NLRB frowns on our restricting exempt employees from discussing their rates of pay. (We used to tell employees that they could be fired for divulging their pay rate) And I understand that the NLRB may consider that such discussions could be "concerted activity" to improve terms of employment. However, I have one employee who likes to boast about his pay rate. This creates problems as you can imagine. How much latitude do I have to stop this kind of talk? We are a non-union employer in a service industry with a staff of 175.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • supervisory and management employees can be prohibited from "concerted" activity and the NLRB will stay out of it. non-managerial, non-supervisory exempt employees do have the right discuss areas of mutual interest, including wages. however, even a "protected" discussion is not absolute. if it becomes overly disruptive in the workplace you can take action to have it cease. termination should be a last resort.
  • Just bragging about how much one makes is not concerted activity between employees for the purpose of determining if they are paid "fairly". I agree with the other answer that it is disruptive, at best. Tell the bigmouth to stop it or you will have to counsel/discipline based on disruptive behavior.
  • Easy, remind him of the company policy and give him a verbal warning.

He is creating a work environment that will foster spite, resentment, and jealousy, and make your reviews difficult.