Cobra Initial notification

On the Cobra Initial Notification, I have never sent out the "Initial Notice." What is some of the language used or if you have a general "initial notice" could you email a copy?

Thanks!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ok, I see that no one has answered this post. Often this information is proprietary, and you have to pay for it. The initial notice should be sent to a person eligible for benefits within 90 days of eligibility for benefits. This comes from the final COBRA rules issued last summer. There were clarifications issued in these final rules, and part of this was that it can be included in the Summary Plan Description, or booklet, and must be in the Plan Document. There were also additional notice requirements, e.g., disqualification of COBRA eligibility and the termination of coverage.

The initial notice language is a summary of all of the COBRA rights, including who is a qualified beneficiary, qualifying events, when COBRA ends, payment rules, etc.

There are services which provide help, but you can also access the Federal Register for the final rules. I hope this helps you.
  • The following website has the new model COBRA notices, and anything else you want to know about COBRA.

[url]http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/[/url]