Sick Leave Accrual

Hello fellow forumites :-)

I am meeting with the owners of our company this week to discuss the amount of sick time employees accrue.

Currently, a full-time employee (working at least 22.5 hours per week)will accrue 5 days per year. The accrual is not rolled over into the next year. Our company does NOT offer a STD plan. I feel that 5 days is not enough. What (if any)amounts of sick leave to you all allow?

Your responses are GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Employees who regularly work 21 hours or more per week accrue sick leave at the rate of .0462 minutes per hour worked (paid). May accumulate 1044 hours. For a forty hour employee it equals approximately twelve days a year. The 1044 hours was before the company had STD & LTD, and was meant to help the employee until they could qualify for SSI, a six month or longer process.
  • Our full-time ees accrue PTO as follows:
    3.54 hours per week (184 hrs per year) during first four years of service;
    4.62 hours per week (240 per year) beginning on the 5th through 19th year of service;
    5.39 hours per week (280 per year) beginning on the 20th year and thereafter.
    If employees want to be paid for a holiday, they must use their PTO.
    We can accumulate up to 2,080 hours of PTO.

My previous company had a sick leave policy identical to yours with 5 days sick and 10 days vacation. Here, we roll it all into PTO, which makes it easier for administration, but we have to pay it all out at termination.

• We give 12 days per year and allow unlimited roll-over. As a non-profit, often in the middle to lower end of the local markets pay ranges, we feel we have to be generous in some other areas to help attract and retain quality staff.
  • Our full-time ee's receive one sick day for each month worked (12 sick days each year). They can accmulate up to 30 days of sick time. We also offer company paid STD and LTD insurance programs.
    Good luck