light duty off site

Our mfg employees who can't perform their regular duty because of restrictions are sent to work at a center that employs physically/mentally challenged people. We continue to pay them at their regular hourly rate for the hrs they work. The center is located about 10 miles away from our plant. I have a problem with a current employee. Today she had to go for therapy at 11:00 (the only appt she said she could get.) She said she did not want to drive back to the center after her appt unless we were willing to pay her for her mileage. I told her to go to therapy (and her follow up exam) and then not return. Will she be eligible for comp for the hours she missed? If she was working at our plant, I would assume she would clock out, go for therapy and exam (unpaid time) and then return to work. Is it unreasonable to expect her to go the extra 10 miles back to the center?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm no portal to portal expert and just scanned a recap of the regs, but if it is designated that the "center" is her place of employment for the time being, you do not have to pay for miles.

In NC she would not be eligible for pay. They are not paid for Dr. visits unless it is the day of your injury. Also, if work is available and they are not there, no pay. I would leave the pay issue up to your claims admin.

Just curious, at the "center" are they performing work for your company?

I do not think it is unreasonable to make her go another 10 miles.
  • No, not for us. The center is paid by the companies they do work for but we are not one of them. We consider it to be a form of "community service" and for us, it works better than in-house light duty work because we believe the employee is more motivated to return to reg duty and it doesn't take the less physically-demanding duties away from our regular rotation. Our comp carrier loves it!
  • Quite an interesting concept. I've never heard of anything like that before.
  • If the employee is on work restrictions due to a work related injury/illness I would advise checking with your workers compensation carrier. In Nebraska, WC pays mileage to the injured employee to and from medical appointments.

Good luck!
  • Sorry for the R instead of S!

It really has worked out well for us. The only problem is the center has limited hours available- only 8:00 - 2:30 - so the motivation to return to reg duty is not as great for those on 2nd shift or our Route Sales people who generally work much longer days. But for the most part it is a win-win situation.