How Does ADA Apply To Colleges

Does someone have knowledge of IF or HOW the ADA might apply to students in school, specifically college? Is there anything in the ADA that you know of that suggests or requires that schools offer accomodations (such as prohibiting suspensions for grades)for students challenged by ADHD or other disabilities? I am assisting a student with a number of things, and she's faced with the likelihood of one semester suspension for GPA. I'm told she is ADHD diagnosed and has an additional psychiatric issue. I'm hoping there's an ADA star we can hitch her to. Suspension seems unusually harsh in this particular case.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I was a college student (a few years ago), there was an entire department located on campus that assisted disabled students with issues. I'd suggest that this person do some investigating to seee if thier college has such a program.
  • I work for a University and we have a Center for Disability Issues. Their role is to assist students and the Director is also a resource for me when I need it for employee issues. If you will fax me your phone number or E-Mail address I will ask her if she would contact you. My E-Mail address is [email]shugh@westernu.edu[/email]
  • If the college is public, then Title II of ADA -- governmental services -- is the controlling legilsation, or possibly Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973. If it's a private institution, then Title III of ADA -- Pubvlic Accommodations -- would apply, and again, if the college gets some federal funding then possibly Section 504.

Title II falls generally under the Department of Justice to oversee (unlike Title I - Employment - which is overseen by EEOC).

But you may want to check yout the US Department of Education's Website. It may have something particular on disabilities and educational programs and requirements.
  • The information given by Hatchetman is the information I have. In addition under 504, if there are major changes to the building site, you must make the necessary changes to ensure wheel chair accessibility, and other others areas. In the area of of the deaf, interpreters must be provided. Reasonableness in cost is still a prevailing factor in making accommodation.
    Most colleges do have special needs departments to ensure that needs are met.
  • thanks to the Forum, Gillian and Hatchetman and their posts, I passed along enough info for the mother of the student to run with it. The mother got in touch with the proper school personnel and knew the right questions to ask and the right ADA buzzwords to suggest. The happy ending (for now) is that the mother/student/psychiatrist got the suspension waived (ADHD accommodation) and also got the school to somehow allow some courses to be taken over without the lower grades affecting the GPA. Although not at all related to HR or Work, the Forum really came through in this situation. Thanks.