FMLA QUESTION

What type of FMLA documentation do you require for an employee returning after being on FMLA with a seriously ill family member?

Also, what type of FMLA tracking software do you use?

Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What do you mean by documentation? Are you asking if you need a return to work form signed by a doctor?? Please clarify :)

• Renie,

Thanks for responding! I'm asking if anyone else requires documentation of release from an employee whenever they have been out on FMLA with a family member. I don't ask for documentation in these circumstances; however, recently we purchased a tracking software which requires we enter the date we received the "Fitness for Duty" release.

Does this help clarify my question?

• To protect the health of the one on illness leave, to protect the company from workers comp liability if some returning to work are not yet fully recovered, you should also seek a return to work medical release from the employee's physician. This will tell you if they recommend performance limitations or if they can perform the full scope of their duties. This is important information the company needs to know for the above stated reasons and probably others.
  • Yes that does help.

No we do not require a fitness for duty form from an employee who was on FMLA leave to help with treatment of a family member. Im not sure if I could justify asking for one. If you don't mind me asking, what is the purpose of asking for a fitness for duty in this type of situation?

As far as software? I use an excel spreadsheet and verify dates with payroll. Nothing fancy, although I would love to have a formal tracking system in place! It would save on time :-? ...
  • Renie,

There is no justification for asking for a "Fit for Duty" for an employee who is on FMLA with a family member. I just can't get past the date on the Tracking Software, so will probably just put in the return date. Otherwise the information goes into a deficiency report, and is stuck there forever. However, it's new software so I'm not sure of all the capabilities at this point. I would like the employee to contact me before they are returning to work, and will probably put this requirement in place.

The biggest problem with this type of leave (being on FMLA for a family illness)is if the employee's family member dies and we have to take them off FMLA (although unpaid, runs concurrently with paid leave)then they are docked for 5 days of bereavement leave unless they have personal days left to draw from. This is very difficult whenever it's a spouse who has been ill, is now deceased (often the breadwinner) and now we are also docking them 5 days of pay as well.

Thanks for assisting me. This is a wonderful forum. I love all the questions and answers and find them to be very helpful, plus I get my laugh for the week.

• >Renie,
    >
    >There is no justification for asking for a "Fit for Duty" for an
    >employee who is on FMLA with a family member. I just can't get past
    >the date on the Tracking Software, so will probably just put in the
    >return date. Otherwise the information goes into a deficiency report,
    >and is stuck there forever. However, it's new software so I'm not
    >sure of all the capabilities at this point. I would like the employee
    >to contact me before they are returning to work, and will probably put
    >this requirement in place.
    >
    >The biggest problem with this type of leave (being on FMLA for a
    >family illness)is if the employee's family member dies and we have to
    >take them off FMLA (although unpaid, runs concurrently with paid
    >leave)then they are docked for 5 days of bereavement leave unless they
    >have personal days left to draw from. This is very difficult whenever
    >it's a spouse who has been ill, is now deceased (often the
    >breadwinner) and now we are also docking them 5 days of pay as well.
    >
    >Thanks for assisting me. This is a wonderful forum. I love all the
    >questions and answers and find them to be very helpful, plus I get my
    >laugh for the week.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >