Interview Notes in Shorthand??

We recently hired for an office position and I am putting together the new employee's personnel file. We keep the original documents from the interview, including an Applicant Evaluation form and any notes taken by the interviewer.

The manager conducting this interview wrote all of her interview notes in short-hand. I sent the notes back with a message to please "translate" the short-hand since I don't read short-hand. She sent a note back saying she wants to "talk about it." I presume this means she doesn't see a need to re-write the notes, thus prompting me to wonder: Am I being unreasonable? To me, it's common sense that you would want something in a personnel file written in a "language" that everyone who may reference it can read.

I plan to insist that the notes be rewritten, however, I'd like to have some concrete reasons other than "It just makes sense!" How would you respond?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Because this form and notes are a part of the employee's official record. This can be reviewed by department management and the employee themselves (if that's the case). Shorthand is like a foreign language...only those who know it can decipher it. That doesn't help the general population in trying to decide if an employee can be hired/retained/promoted.
  • The personnel file is not the place for notes taken during an interview. The trash can is. There is no positive outcome accruing to the employer for keeping these sorts of miscellaneous, extraneous notes and ramblings, only negative.

• I concur with Don! In the last 28 years of my HR career, I have never had the need for the interview notes from any of the management team that any candidate interviewed and hired. Once enrolled the individual is on-board and working, so the interview notes need not been in the personnel file. Trash them, as Don has stated! To hold on to them would be a sin raised later on that the company might not want to have raised.

You might suggest to the manager that takes interview notes in shorthand to please sum up her thoughts in English so that all decision makers have the richness of her thoughts. Then trash them when not selected or selected.

PORK

• Wow, kdspa, I guess they told us. My comment was simply based on the fact that you DO make them a part of file. If it is not feasable to remove them, or if management doesn't want them removed, they need to be readable.
  • EEOC might have a field day with this if the shorthand translates in any way to one of the protected categories. It's like putting an X on the application of each person in a protected category.
  • Hmmm…. not sure what your comment is implying. If you're implying that perhaps this manager uses short-hand ONLY for applicants who are in a protected class, then you are mistaken (and a little silly). If you're implying that once the translation were made, the notes would imply a bias against a protected class, then the issue would (of course) be immediately addressed with the manager and the notes (of course) would not be included in the personnel file. Having said that, these notes are for the PERSONNEL FILE - thus denoting that this individual has already been hired and not discriminated against in the hiring process.

My point (which perhaps was not stated very clearly in the beginning) is that I want to be able to read these notes so I can ensure that they do not contain any biased/illegal information. To be quite frank, this manager is actually very astute when it comes to Equal Opportunity Employment, so I'm not overly concerned that there is some horrible vex or irrevocable sin contained in the notes - I just want to be able to read the darn thing!!

• I agree that it's best not to keep the interview notes or other recruitment materials in the personnel file. I keep any important recruitment materials for hired employees in a separate file. The only reason I keep them at all is to avoid being accused of negligent hiring practices if the person turns out to be a bad seed.

Half HR
  • I also believe it is a mistake to keep them, but if you are determined, consider a separate file. They absolutely don't belong in the personnel file.

As to your question, can the explanation to the manager simply be, "I can't read them." That's what you would say if the notes were in a foreign language or just plain illegible.
  • Those notes, and any notes taken for any reason in shorthand, could end up as court exhibits and translation will be required. Do not take notes on matters relating to Company business in shorthand. They must be in a form that anyone who may need them can read.

Regarding taking the notes during an interview in the first place, that is fine but watch content for protected categories and don't throw them out! We have had them requested and subpoenaed many times for legal cases and if you kept the rest of the file and anyone mentions that the notes ever existed, their destruction can be taken as evidence of guilt, i.e. containing comments related to protected characteristics. We do not put them in personnel files, but do have files for the positions in which we put the resumes and all interview information and notes for all candidates interviewed and that information is frequently requested in legal cases, including EEOC responses. We keep the names of all those who applied, but not necessarily any other information except for the candidates interviewed.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-24-05 AT 08:06AM (CST)[/font][br][br]MS HR, MS

08-23-05, 02:24 PM (CST)
    186 total posts

5. "RE: Interview Notes in Shorthand??"
    EEOC might have a field day with this if the shorthand translates in any way to one of the protected categories. It's like putting an X on the application of each person in a protected category.

I agree that this one is a little off the mark. The original poster called it 'silly', and I might even go that far. Not everything that occurs in the hiring process translates to raising the hackles of the EEOC or to discrimination.

There is absolutely no reason to keep interview notes, nor does the EEOC have any jurisdiction over what you do or do not keep from your process.

Far too many new HR personnel are taught in seminars to run scared from the EEOC with their tails high in the wind. Obey the anti-discrimination statutes and forget the rest.

(edit)...And as to the comment that 'their destruction can be taken as evidence of guilt', that's preposterous. Next it will be suggested that the order in which you set them up for interview must have had racial overtones and the manner in which you contacted them (email, telephone, letter) had a questionable motive.

The government (EEOC) has no jurisdiction over your process. If you hand me notes taken in fifteen different hiring situations, I guarantee you that I can conjure up 'evidence' from those notes that you discriminated in every single instance.