Social Security Numbers and pay receipts

Is there any rule that requires a social security number to be placed on an employees pay stub? If not, is there any rationale for posting a social security number?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-27-05 AT 01:09PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I advocate not placing ee socials on anything other than as required by law and these are primarily restricted to the payroll and insurance processes and a few hire-in documents. My wife was filling out a ream (pun intended) of paper last nite for a routine colonoscopy later this week. (she would love me putting this out on the net). She asked me for MY social and said the clinic requires it. I told her I'll fight that battle with them while I sit in the waiting room smiling about it being her and not me. I am not giving my number to anybody unless it's unavoidable. Another stupid thing employers do is put these numbers on ID badges, and, of all places, the sign in sheets we circulate for training.
  • I never give out my social security number or anyone else's. And, I never confirm a social security number over the telephone. And, I get really annoyed when I'm paying for something (either with cash or credit card but particularly with cash) and I am asked for either my zip code or telephone #.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-27-05 AT 01:41PM (CST)[/font][br][br]JHP: We use an office generated set of sequential numbers to identify our employees. It is this number that is used to retrieve any computer data. I do not believe that anyone in this day would tell you had to use the SSN within your data bank. The social security is on many if not all of the company documents. It is the number, we used to seperate and identify any employee with the outside world. Such as a reference check or employment check. We get the caller to identify the person by the ssn, which is then cross referenced to our registeration log, and we then are able to look up the particular employee's data to sort through just who are we talking about with the outside world.

Our state allows one to use their SSN on the driver's license, but SSA would tell you that is not a good practice.

PORK
  • You are correct about the state use of ssns as DL numbers. I had both my children have their DL numbers changed so they are not their ssn. My daughter's ID was stolen that way. I also recommend that nobody put a social on their check either. I have also told these clerks in stores that I neither have a license, a phone or an address when I am paying with cash or a debit card.
  • We just had our payroll program edited (just took a few minutes) to remove ssn from printing on the payroll checks. When you have direct deposit, employees might be a little careless with their check stubs since it doesn't actually get cashed. The downside is that if there is an keying error on the ssn, the W-2 will be wrong. Employees should receive a report of their payroll set up to verify their data is correct in the system initially so ssn can be corrected if needed.
  • I believe there might be some states that do require this, SS No. on check STUB.. not Check. You may want to check with your state. (For some reason TX sticks out in my mind. However, I may be getting this mixed up with TX requiring the no. hours worked or items processed to be on the check stub.)
    E Wart
  • And, if any of your health insurance carriers use the ss # for an id #, get them to change it.

• To Whatever's point, Cigna just recently replaced the SSN with an ID # and also removed the SSN from all billing. AFLAC removed the SSN from bills as well at our request.

Gene