Wants to appeal our decision not to interview

We determined we did not wish to interview someone due to the fact that their salary requirements were out of our budget by about $40,000 and due to the fact that they did not have any non-profit work in the background. Now this person wants to "appeal our decision" not to interview him. How would you respond to this or would you ignore it?

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Please advise: What form did the request take and what was the wording of it? Provide that and you will get better responses. Thanks.
  • He emailed his request and it stated exactly what I quoted above.
  • njjel,

My initial thought may sound harsh, but since I’m sure that you have not discriminated against this applicant, simply ignore him. Think about the absurdity of having to justify all of your interview yes/interview no decisions? If you attempt to justify your reasoning to this guy, many things could happen -- most of them bad. If you are required by law to respond -- respond, otherwise don't let anyone talk you into doing this.

If you feel you must, or someone on this board talks you into it, please limit your response to a simple “…I’m sorry, it is our policy not to respond to such inquirers.”

Geno, SPHR
  • NJJEL: I really dislike it when a person who is otherwise qualified to be your next hire that the company would choose not to allow a person to interview and be offered the position with the salary to which you will offer to your most qualified candidate.

I have personally been in the position on several occasions. The decision to accept an offer at a rate of pay which is $40,000 off the budget mark should be the decision of the concerned individual. We, last week, made an offer for a proven manager that we could train to do our technical work, but we were $60,000 short of his most recent position. He is holding out on his response to us for a better opportunity. Tomorrow is our deadline and we will withdraw our offer. If he chooses to cut his standard of living and come to manage for us he will have an opportunity that he and his family will not otherwise have after tomorrow.

He is quality and very capable but he wants to stay in this area of the country and his operational experiences producing $100,000 a year as a company VP is simply not in great numbers or great demand in this area at this moment.

This was also my story and I made a counter offer to this company which they missed my expected base rate by $10,000. I came anyway and my family has made the adjustment over time. I wish I had more but having a good secure job with a company that is going to be here is my first choice in life.

I certainly would listen to his appeal of your decision either over the telephone, by written e-mail, or personal one-on-one. You could tell him the company will listen, but will not pay for the transportation or expense for a one-on-one interview. See where he wants to go and then make the decision. His personal circumstance may be understandable and justifiable to take your less paying job over holding out for a better paying one.

PORK
  • It has been my experience that it is rare, very rare indeed for a person to accept a position that is almost half of what they were making wherein that person stays with the company very long. For one thing it kicks their morale in the teeth and they really and truly aren't happy campers in the end. So you spend time and money training them only to have them leave as soon as they find a better paying position. Are there exceptions? Sure! But few and far between. The other reason we did not interview him was his lack of experience in our field. So I'm back to my original question if anyone would care to respond. His email stated "I would like to appeal that decision." That was it. I have written him back advising him that his app will be kept on file and to feel free to check our website for future openings as we have no appeal process for applicants.
  • But NJJEL "few and far between" might have been that "diamond in the ruff" that with a little jeweler's rouge of technical support and development could be another super star like you.

I was taught and learned long ago that when reviewing resume/applications or letters that the one member of the management team that should be the advocate for ruling candidates INTO-INTO the process of interviewing should be the professional HR.

IT IS CERTAINLY YOUR CALL TO MAKE and no one will take you to court and win, because you made the decision to not listen to one last appeal, which might have disclosed the location of this "potential diamond in the ruff" for you to find. I believe you posted that his appeal was by e-mail; where is the significant loss of time to read his point of view or issues and a quick response, if it does not have merit in his appeal.

There are no rules here! It is whatever you want it to be. Where did non-profit's employees and management come from? Normally, from other vocations? This guy could have been a recent lottery winner and could buy your non-profit, but chooses instead to come to work for the organization.

Just a final thought to make the point it does not take a lot of effort to be open to someone's plea for a chance. I have been there and done that!!!

PORK
  • Personally I think you made the right decision. We also have no appeal process for applicants. You took the time to establish minimum qualifications for the purpose of weeding out those you feel don't meet your requirements. What would be the sense then, of interviewing everyone who didn't meet the minimum requirements you spent so much time establishing in the first place?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-17-05 AT 12:35PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-17-05 AT 12:33 PM (CST)[/font]

Your company is not obligated to interview this guy just because he wants you to. Sounds like he's ruled out as a candidate because he does not have the requisite experience. In my opinion, salary requirements are negotiable and IF he had the quals, but the sole basis for the decision was his salary req, then I might reconsider. People make career changes all of the time and have to start low in salary and rebuild. Back to the topic, though, I would just thank him for his interest, and at this time your company declines to extend an invitation for him to interview, and leave it at that. Depending on how the whole dialog began, simply ignoring is an option. Sounds like there's been some exchange, and if there has, as a professional courtesy, I would respond, in brief, one last time. If he continues to persist, I would just ignore.

• Very well said! No need to discuss your rationale, appeal process (sigh!), etc.

Gene
  • Thanks. I did respond as stated above and if I hear back from him, I intend to ignore. On another note, we interviewed a candidate for another position and did not select him. I KNOW he will be furious when he receives the "thanks but no thanks" letter from me and I expect he will call and want to know why he wasn't hired and I plan to advise him that we simply selected the candidate we felt best fit the needs of both the position and the program.
  • I agree that you made the right decision. My feeling is that a cover letter is the most appropriate place for an applicant to entice you to call for an interview, and to explain anything that might appear odd to a prospective employer.

If I were willing to accept a position with a much different pay scale than my history, I would make sure I explained that in the letter. You don't have time to second guess everyone, or to call every applicant and ask for an explanation about things that concern you. It is their responsibility to provide you, UP FRONT, all the information you need to decide whether or not to interview them.
  • Nijel: Most people would not even respond to an inquiry "appealing" a decision not to interview. This is one step below the level of a candidate calling and demanding to know why they were not hired.

Since you responded, I think you responded appropriately and I would just ignore any future correspondence

• You did the right thing. However, the fact that someone wants to appeal your decision not to interview say alot about this person (none of it good).
  • NJJEL: Now you've indicated you have stress symptoms over not one but two candidates who may want to challenge your process. The problem is that you do not have a comfort level with your own process that will allow you to work through it without letting outside factors send you home stressed about it every day.

You have no obligation to respond. But if you do respond, belly up to the responsibility bar and say, 'The decision has been made'. No need to explain it or worry about somebody going ballistic over your decisions. If some dunce asks, "Well then, who can I speak with," your response should be, "You're speaking with her."

With the guy who wanted to appeal the decision to be interviewed, if you offer any response at all to him, simply respond that 'A decision has been made to not advance your candidacy to the next level. We wish you well in your pursuits'. And let that be that.

And I recommend we never tell a candidate that 'a better selection was made' or 'the best candidate' was selected. Simply tell them the position has been filled and let that be that. Never tell a candidate why he was not selected or what he might do to improve his candidacy next time. There is no value to the organization in that and your obligation is to the organization. If you get sucked down into this actitivity, you will never get past this elementery element in the process of staffing an organization.

And as for Pork or others who might criticize your process, I don't recall that your request was for people to tell you how you should have run the process. You made decisions based on the information you had and your frame of reference and, I assume, the mission of your organization.
  • Don - Actually I am comfortable with our process. It's the crazy applicants that I am uncomfortable with! Also, I don't criticize any advice that I receive (even if I don't take it) because it is after all their opinion and that is what I asked for! That's what i love about the forum - it gives one the opportunity to hear many and varied opinions/ideas and I thank you for yours.