Toe Jam?

We have a new employee who always wears sandals, and when at meetings props her leg up on her knee and picks at her feet. This is a constant rather than occasional occurrence, and is making people uncomfortable. Rather than the direct approach (you're being gross, cut it out!) I advised the supervisor that I would approach it with the employee from a standpoint that this might be an unconcious habit, but that it's distracting to others and may give the appearance of the employee not being focused at the meeting. Anyone out there had a similar situation to deal with?

Happy New Year to All!

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-30-04 AT 10:48AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I have to admit the title to your thread tugged my curiousity pretty hard.

I think nothing less than the direct approach will get through to someone doing this. It is gross and this behavior should be confined for private moments. The indirect consequences are also there and you mentioned a couple that are reasonable, but the grossness aspect is primary and should not be overlooked in your conversation. Deal with First things First.

Edit: Welcome to the forum, I hope your future posts are just as entertaining.
  • Well, you sure know howto get people looking at your post! I hadn't hought of toe jam in 30 years. I kind of like your thoughts, but suspect you will quickly get to Maarc's view once you broach the subject. Your perspective gets youinto thetopic with some respect intact, but once there Katy bar the door. Good luck.
  • Now does anyone really want to shake hands with her? It will be easier than you think to simply say 'don't do that anymore.' Sometimes we fear the direct approach when it's the best and often the most appreciated.

Yes, welcome! x:-)
  • I agree, be direct. Then ask her if she minded if others in the meeting started picking their noses, and would she want to shake their hands at the end of the meeting! If you tell her that it gives the appearance of not being focused she'll just say that she is totaly focused anyway.
  • Yikes, I agree with Sam, tell her to knock it off.
    scorpio

• I'm really hoping she's wearing pants and not a skirt when she does this propping her foot on her knee thing....then maybe you've got other issues!

Yuck!
  • Sandy: Two points - First, subjects like this should appear over on the recipe section and Secondly, I am bowled over by the fact that none of the prior responders even got near the possibility of your potential need to consider an ADA accommodation for the employee. You are obligated to enter into an interractive discussion with her at your earliest convenience to explore, not the behavior, but the root of it. This acting-out indicates either an obsessive-compulsive disorder or a 'life activity limiting' fungal disease or something as serious as her father's mistreatment of her at a young age. This is common behavior among women who wear sandals, especially when they are provided with chairs in which to sit during meetings. One thing you might consider is providing her with gardening gloves for meetings.
  • To everyone, thank you. To Don, I'll confess - I think I've been in love with you since I first starting reading the forum some time back. Actually, I think it's more a love-hate thing, depending on whether or not I agree with you at the time. Always entertaining for sure.....

• OK, I think I’ll tread in this unfamiliar water and ask, why is it appropriate for women to wear sandals in an office setting? I am not a footwear or foot expert but it seems to me this is just asking for the spread of disease, fungi, athletes foot, papilloma virus, etc. I have seen many occasions when the footwear is kicked off either at a desk or otherwise. I don’t recall ever seeing a man in the workplace wear sandals, flip-flops, or other types of open footwear. Please someone tell me why this is acceptable for women in the workplace, what am I missing?
  • Safety -
    Let me set the stage - Lake Havasu City, Arizona, known as the frequent 'hot spot' in the nation in terms of weather (and spring break on occasion....but that's another post ) When we talk about 'business casual' here, we say 'Havasu casual'. Been that way forever. And though I appreciate your sentiment here, we haven't had any injuries or lovely fungi viruses you describe yet. And yes, some of the men wear sandals on occasion too!
  • Okay Safety. I reluctantly post here; BUT . . . I don't think it is appropriate for men or women in an office setting to have bare feet. My personal take on appropriate footwear would be that feet should be covered either with nylons or socks. Open toed sandals for females would be appropriate with nylons. It would be up to management to determine if it were trendy for males to do the same, but I suspect not. Unless it's in a health care setting, I think it has less to do with hygiene than with appearance.
  • But, what about my new Birks I got myself for Christmas with an enclosed toe but no coverage at the back? Would you tell me whether I could wear them in your office & if so, what thickness my socks should be? These shoes are all about comfort, not trendiness. It seems to me that my shoes are my business and should not be subject to the arbitrary judgement of some obsessive, controlling HR person.

And if you outlaw my Birks, you must outlaw those wide lapelled, pinstriped pimp-suits so many men have gravitated towards. I will omit my remarks about thongs in the workplace, but, suffice it to say they should be mandatory.
  • You may have to post a photo of the shoes. If I picture them accurately, you may be able to wear them here in this office, but I suspect they are not safe in a manufacturing environment. I say the socks could be any thickness as long as they match the pants and not the shirt. I get paid for obsession and control. It's my job. Must run a tight ship here!

Now I don't get the connection between your Birks and pimp-suits. Seems to me you can wear your pimp suit safely in the plant.

Your suggestion about thongs is interesting. When we had a similar notion here, we had an onslaught of volunteers to monitor the program. We abandoned the idea after a few days of near zero productivity.
  • I disagree with you about sock color. If I have on a light blue shirt and tan khakis, I would wear navy blue socks, not tan socks. And with a burgundy shirt and cream colored pants, a man should wear burgundy socks, not white ones. Same for dark green. A man's belt should match his shoes too. You better stick to nylons and stilettos. x:-)

**When we do for others what they should do for themselves, we disempower them.**
  • It doesn't look good to have three different colors from the calf down. Your socks should either match your pants or your shoes. If you have tan pants and a maroon shirt, match it up with brown shoes and socks. A green shirt - same thing or black shoes and socks. These are merely my suggestions. I would never suggest navy blue socks unless you have navy blue pants. Maybe you simply need to add more shoes to your wardrobe. But for further (and more expert) advice, pick up a copy of GQ. I agree about the belt though. x;-)
  • But what about my double knit pants and matching belt and shirt combos that I kept from the 70s? And can you comment on black knee high socks with sandals and bermuda shorts? Is this still appropriate with flowered shirts? And to address your comment about three different colors from the calf down....I see women all the time with multiple colored veins from the calf down, capri pants one color and jelly shoes another. There ought to be a law.

**When we do for others what they should do for themselves, we disempower them.**
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-03-05 AT 08:56AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Direct approach. Tell her its inappropriate, to knock if off, and if she cannot control herself refer her to your EAP!