Brown Bag Lunch Topics?

Hi everyone! We have started having "brown bag lunches" once a month for our Managers/Supervisors. I am responsible for coming up with a short "presentation/discussion" for the next one. Just wondering if any of you have done something in the past and may have any suggestions on "good topics" - maybe even some "resources" that you have used? Would welcome any and all input! Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Earlier this week I trained managers in discrimination - disparate treatment and disparate impact. I explained the difference concepts and used cases to illustrate both types of discrimination and that included age, racial, and ADA cases. There was alot of great discussion with this topic. If managers don't understand discrimination, then the laws that make the many protected classes can be violated by them through ignorance. Therefore, I really recommend this topic as one to be covered before diving into the various HR laws. My sources include the Alabama Law Letter for cases to illustrate the topic and I also use the DOL website. Hope this helps and good luck with your program!
  • Try some 'upbeat' brief topics. If you have access to a video library or power point presentations, try topics like "Humor in the Workplace," "Leading the new breed," "Stress - the Mind/Body Connection" etc. Employment law may be a little heavy for lunch.
  • We've used personality styles (based upon Myers-Briggs) as a entertaining discussion...it was useful not only at work, but in personal lives as well to see how different styles communicate and how to make sure what you think you're saying is what the other person is hearing.

• We did a whole series last year picking most of the usual suspects: FMLA, ADA, Workers Comp, Evaluations, Absenteeism/Tardiness, Progressive Discipline and Write-ups. We then had a write-in process where the managers and supervisors could suggest topics. Several good ideas came from them, such as Teamwork, our Company's Values, the importance of immediate feedback and a couple of more that are eluding me right now. Maybe it was long-term memory?
  • I have always liked to have a case study, which does not necessarily have a correct answer. It is a good outlet for managers to understand differences of opinion, and a good resource to get across a point of law.
    As an example - I presented a mock interview with my secretary in which every question I asked was either illegal or not necessary. The point was to stick to the bona-fide occupational qualifications for the position, and ask questions relative to same.
    Cheers,
  • Mr. Bill, your comments reminded me that I used samples of various "real circumstances" from the forum as case studies. Once the managers and supervisors came up with their opinions, I shared the forumites take on the same situations. It was very interesting to see the lights go on when they heard the professional analyses from the group. This was well received.
  • We have had panel discussions during our Brown Bag Lunch series on Human Resources topics such as: FMLA, FLSA, EEO, Christmas Celebration in a Diversity Work culture and Spanish at work. We have also had Weight Watchers Program held at lunch time. Good luck. Rick Roberson, Director of Human Resources City of Goldsboro, NC