between a rock & hard place

I have lost sleep for three weeks over this and need advice. I am between a rock and a hard place. I am the HR Generalist for a satellite ofice. I report to corporate HR. The satellite office, which I work with, but do not report to, has a huge problem with their top dog (actually female dog). She manages thru fear and intimidation. I have had supervisors in tears in my offfice. My dilemna is this: As a representative of HR, do I have an obligation to the supervisors (who fear her) to stand up for them? Should I anonymously report it to our Compliance department and let them investigate (only problen is... they would turn it back over to me). I fear her vindictiveness as well.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That depends on what 'fear and intimidation' is. If it's discrimination or harassment, then it should be acted upon, presumably by you. If not, you may have something 'grievable' under your grievance policy. The last option would be that the top dog is not doing anything illegal nor anything grievable but is not very adept at communications. Does your satellite office think they have a problem or do you think so because your managers have come to you and complained? If they turn it back over to you, it seems that no one is willing to deal with her. In that case, go for it fairly and don't be afraid!
  • Being an A-hole is not illegal, but it is a management technique that often produces some good short term results. Many studies have shown how transient those results can be. Deteriorating morale and turnover can result in workplace environment that can be very hard to turn around.

You mentioned that you report to corporate HR. Why not take your problem to your direct report. There may be trouble in your satellite that is not generally known. Having this sort of insight may result in a sit down between her and the person she reports to.

In our shop, we encourage people to air out their problems directly with the source. If they are uncomfortable doing this, then they can approach any other management team member. Have you tried to sit down with her and let her know she has some problems in the workforce. Obviously, you cannot name names, but she might share some insight that could shed a different light on things.

Either way, do not sit on this, either gently share your information with her or with your direct report at corporate.

Good luck.
  • NEWBIE: Based on what you have posted here, I recommend you take your concerns up the chain of authority to your BOSS. Seek the Corporate HR advise on how you are to handle this subject matter. Document this action in some formal process, so that one can ever come back to you the HR Generalist, "Why did you not tell someone?"

I would not dive into the other departments internal affairs without orders from your BOSS!

PORK
  • Welcome to the Forum, newbie!

I agree you should ask for advice from your boss - that's what he/she is making the big bucks for. x:D

Someone needs to talk to Atilla the Hun to let her know the effects of her actions (but be ready for kill-the-messenger). But it's up to HER boss to decide whether her actions are acceptable.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • If you don't have a relationship with her that allows you to discuss with her, I would "discuss" it with the corporate HR and seek their counsel on how to manage it. If she's moody and just hard to get along with, its not illegal. If she's treating people inappropriately because of a protected class, whole other matter. Either way, if she's managing badly, she does have an upline who is responsible to reign her in and coach improvement.
  • I am fairly new to HR myself, but I agree with the others that you can't sit on this. I would imagine that if she is really that hard on people, there has probably been a certain amount of turnover in your office that can become cripplling to any company. And as was mentioned, maybe her boss is unaware of the problem and you can't fix a problem unless you know it exists.

If you sit on this, the employees might think that coming to you with problems is a waste of time and will eventually stop coming to you, and that can make your job even tougher if you don't have the trust and respect of the other employees.
  • Hi newbie! Good advice all around, but I would add one other thing - no, I wouldn't stand up for the supervisors against the female dog - I would coach them to do it themselves. The perspective here is that they need to learn how to deal with difficult people and address their own concerns/frustrations/fears with the person they are having the difficulty with. Guard against triangulation and coach towards people taking responsibility for their working lives. Get some xI-) - it's really their problem to handle and your opportunity to coach. Good luck!