Don't tell them I said that

I have an ee who is complaining about people talking about her. She wants me to fix this without saying she's the one complaining. Fine, I talked to the 2 individuals and basically told them to mind their own business and not be talking about other ee's and I also reminded them about our policy about this sort of thing.

I followed up with the complaining ee and told her that I took care of the problem.

If this happens again, (which it probably will, we have over 60 women ee's) can I tell her that I will have to reveal her name so that I can handle the situation on a more one on one basis? Or do I have to keep her name confidential?

Thanks.
-t

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • T, do you realy think the 2 employees you spoke to don't know who approached you? Come 'ere, I have beach front property to sell you.

• It's always best to not promise confidentiality in any investigation. Sometimes, it cannot be kept and resolve the situation.

Hopefully, the other ee's will mind their own business and it will cease to be an issue for you.
  • She can't make a complaint and then dictate the best way for you to respond. That's your job. Once a complaint is made the ball starts rolling down hill on it's own accord.
  • T: No, you do not have to keep this information confidential; however, if you are to establish and maintain a position of strength, as HR, you should agree to keep her name out of the event, but only to the degree necessary to do your job of stopping the harassing action. Another point, have you told the individual to personally discuss her complaints with the other parties to let them know you are offended by their actions and request they stop their rumor moungering. If she has not then this should be the next step in conflict resolution. This type of "stuff" is child like and these adults, I assume, need to address this situation on the adult level or it will never go away.

MY OPINION as an older soldier with better things to do in HR than to play with the children.
    pork
  • You are exactly right. Then they want to complain that we treat them like children. Come on people, act like adults and you will be treated like adults.

And yes, I did tell the ee to let the other 2 know that she doesn't appreciate them discussing her business and such.

I thought I could reveal her name, but I only want to do that as a last resort.

Thanks for your opinion.
    -t
  • Our handbook suggests that these issues be worked out directly whenever possible. Some people do not have a high enough self-esteem to be able to stand up for themselves and confront situations that make them uncomfortable - and they need to learn to do that or they will be doormats the rest of their lives. What do these EEs do about this sort of thing when they do not have an HR department to hold their hand? If someone cuts in line at the grocery store are they going to search around for an HR person to make things right?

This is probably just as important of an individual employee development point as any other deficiency, but it is one that will benefit them much more than their 8 hours at the shop.

And as others have said, you cannot promise confidentiality if it hinders your ability to do the job.
  • I have been dealing with similar issues. My first line supervisors wants me to add a policy that basically says that gossip and spreading false rumors is grounds for disciplinary action. A policy difficult to enforce. Does anyone out there have a similar policy?
  • Our policy addresses "behaviors that are disruptive to a cohesive and respectful team environment will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment".

Also, I take a direct approach to these types of complaints. I tell the complainer that the first step in the "chain of communication" is one-on-one (which I will facilitate and mediate if necessary) and if they are not willing to do that then it becomes a dead issue for my office, as in my opinion it's petty and not worthy as there are more than enough other important things to deal with. I have found that gossips, once confronted, first will deny their practice, then usually will become less obnoxious about it.

• >If this happens again, (which it probably will,
    >we have over 60 women ee's)

????
  • >>If this happens again, (which it probably will,
    >>we have over 60 women ee's)
    >
    >????

One of our departments has 108 employees of which 99 are female. This was a problem until we addressed it department wide, explained our policy and consequences of violations. After a few suspensions and terminations, in accordance with our progressive disciplinary action, the message was sent loud and clear and we have not had a problem.

If there was an emotion icon for knocking on wood and crossing fingers I would insert it here.

• What exactly was your policy. [email]personnel@kirksvillecity.com[/email]
  • Hoooey! T: Call the three of them into your office and open up the conversation. This is not something that rises to a level of an undercover investigation. This is immaturity in the workplace and needs to be snatched up right away and confronted head-on. The person who requested anonymity has no right to it once she rolls out the problem. Call them in and say, "Look, we're here to make a profit. My job and yours depends on our mutual cooperation and productivity. If you cannot work together, one or all three of you will be terminated and will be replaced. Have I made myself clear? Another mention of this silliness will result in a termination. How many, I'm not sure."