Recruiting Process

I am developing a recruiting process and I would like your opinions on what you think works best. I work for a surgical center employing about 120 people most of them nurses.

In your organization during the hiring practice do you (HR) pre-screen candidates, set up interviews, interview, check references, and extend the offer. What do you let your managers handle? I have worked in both areas where HR did everything and in areas where HR just pushed the paper at the end.

What do you think is best!

Thanks
Craig

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am not in the same industry, but HR has always does the prescreen, check references and do all but the interview anywhere I've worked. That way we control the information, and if candidates do not meet the standards, they are not hired.

This is not to say that managers couldn't do it all, however sometimes they get so wrapped up in filling the position, they could let a little thing like a positive drug test or violent felony conviction slide.
  • I am part of HR in a 3,000+ ee hospital system. When I first arrived here about 3 years ago the managers were running the process. Overtime, that has changed. Basically the biggest issues were fairness and consistency with salary quotes, the fact that references often were not done, people were starting outside the orientaion process and not being accurately paid, nor was documentation acquired for licensure.

Because we tried to couch/sell our changes as "customer service" to our managers, we have a formal process and our managers are grateful! We save them time by doing pre-screening and referring only qualified candidates to them. Also, we do the salary quote, offer letter, drug screen, background check, license verification, etc.

And we in HR are happy because we know we have a fair and consistent hiring process.
  • Jane

Could I by chance get your e-mail to bounce questions off of you. This is my first assignment in Health Care HR for the first time and it is so different than what I am used to.

Thank you
    [email]craig.broome@sscbr.com[/email]

• The recruiting process is a little bit more complicated than what has been outlined for you. There are many issues to look out for during your recruitment process. As far as who does what in the process is usually determined by the head boss with input from HR and the managers. When doing your recruitment process become familiar with the Uniform Guideline on Employee Selection Procedures, American's with Disabilities Act, Civil Rights Act etc. With this in mind, HR usually handles the process since they should be trained in these areas.
  • Who publishes the uniform guidelines on employee selection procedures? Three decades in the business and I seem to have missed the publication. Not that I would adopt it anyway.
  • CRAIG: I like to be involved with the direct interview process, as well as, doing the paper work "start to finish". I find the person, screen interview for fit and personality traits that would cause someone to fail. Assist the candidate in the interview process with the core of managers with whom the candidate will have one-on-one time. I want to receive the recognition for a good find and fit; otherwise, I would not be worth my "salt on the team"! I have always taken the bull by the horn or the "Hog by the snout", coordinated, and laid out the interview plan, and then marshalled the actions of the plan to make sure it is complete and a good decision is made for both the company and the candidate.

JUST MY THOUGHTS AS A PROFESSIONAL HR!

PORK
  • Here's what I do - not sure if it will work for you as it seems as though HR in a medical facility is quite a bit different from retail and manufacturing setting.

1. The manager notifies me if they need to add ee's (or this may come up in a strategy session between the manager and myself). I find out what the job entails, start times & shift and then review my salary matrix for appropriate wage information.
    2. Put the ad or ad's out. (This process is a whole other thread, so I'll move on.)
    3. Resumes/applications come in and I sort into piles of "Go forward" and "No" given wage requirements, work history/skills, etc.
    4. This part is optional, meaning I do it for some of our managers that specifically ask, or skip to 5. I give copies of the resumes/applicants what I consider to be my top 10 applicants to review. From there, they let me know who they are interested in.
    5. I call the applicants and pre-screen - jell up the application/resume, give physical requirements, ask about transportation, etc.
    6. If I like what I hear in the pre-screen (usually takes about 20 minutes, sometimes less depending upon position) then I set up an interview.
    7. The supervisor/manager interview the applicant. I provide copies of the application/resumes and the pre-screen notes. I only sit in when the supervisor/manager is still relatively new or there has been a rash of poor hiring decisions within the department & of course if I'm hiring for my own staff.
    8. The supervisor/manager and I meet after all of the interviews (including second interviews if necessary) are done & then make a selection (if we are still undecided we have the top two or three folks come back for a Profile assessment). Usually the supervisor/manager has the final say (I only do when the ee was a former employee & we had performance issues). I like it this way as I love to say I told you so, when it doesn't go right x;-). (Kind of kidding there.)
    9. I check references.
    10. I call the applicant with a job offer & they either accept or not. I also arrange the counter-offers if they pop up (I've usually met with the supervisor/manager during the counter stage to see how far they want to go, balanced on what the company can afford).
    11. Once applicant starts, it's new hire and safety orientations & my process is done. The only thing I would add is that I contact via letter the folks that came in for interviews & let them know that another was selected.

Could this process be streamlined - perhaps & occasionally, depending on position, I skip a number of steps. I hope this is helpful.