HR Filing systems

We have started to scan our HR files into a database, with the anticipation that Managers and other HR personnel could view employee files via their computer. This has turned out to be more trouble than we think it is worth. Realizing how important someones personnel file is, I would like to hear from other HR professionals what type of filing system and or scanning software you are using. We have developed a work flow that is company wide, which works extremely well and ensures things do not fall through the cracks, but we would also like to incorporate an efficienct filing and or scanning procedure to go along with it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We are a very progressive company but our employee files are on old-fashioned paper and are, if possible, hand delivered from one supervisor to another when an employee gets a new job. If hand delivery is not possible, FedEx or UPS is used and a signature is required. They are kept in locked drawers.
  • We are just starting to explore the possibility of scanning at least the resigned employee personnel files. This is almost a "must" for us as we are running out of storage space and the off site space that we have is costing a bundle.

I don't know of anyone who is scanning current employee files.
  • Rockie,
    Do you use an electronic system for your charting?
  • We also scan documents into our personnel files. Sometimes I am a little worried that we no longer have original documents/original signatures. We are a very large company so our employee records are centralized and only employees in the records dept have access to the files. If I need something out of a file, or an entire file, I call records, they pull it up and email or print it and send it to me. Managers only maintain their own employee file for performance documentation purposes. I could not imagine managers having the only personnal file on employees.
  • PASSION4HR: I know I must be reading your post wrong or maybe you just did not post everything, that what the managers would be able to see is basic identification information, which would include payroll number, the actual rate of pay, last date for an increase and last date of evaluation, and maybe a history of the ee's work stations and experiences. We have a page in our system that we could allow "for view only" and it is the information that a current manager could easily use, if we simply gave the manager access. The actual personnel file is available to the manager only after he/she tells me what he/she needs to review and for what purpose. Once that is known we will screen the file to ensure the desired information is present and any other information that might be previledged will be removed before the manager signs the file out of our secure file room.

PORk
  • PORk, apparently I do need to provide additional information. We keep all original files in the HR dept. The scanning system we have would eventually allow managers to view their employees files in their entirety and only their employees. It would also be a read only access. Currently, the only way to see their employees files is to come into the HR dept and view it manually. Personally, I like having the ability to touch and see a file, however, we have invested a lot of time and money in this system and are faced with paying a lot more. We are trying to decide whether or not it is beneficial to continue with this process. It has not eliminated any steps it has only added to it. We still keep the manual files, therefore, we are filing and scanning. The purpose of my posting was to solicit suggestions and/or ideas from others about their filing systems and/or scanning processes.
  • Passion: Did you 'invest a lot of time and money in this system' before you carefully explored all the ramifications?

Maybe I'm old fashioned in this regard, but I do not want to operate a personnel function in a paperless manner. I feel it would be nothing but trouble.

Nor can I imagine operating within a system where I had to requisition a document from a records department. I trust the confidentiality of an HR Department, but do not have any sese of trust for an 'invisible' records department.

I would rather submit a capital spending proposal for the addition of a 30 x 30 room for $10,000 than go down one of these paths.
  • Don D,

No, not a lot of money, mostly time. It's a band aided system and now needs a lot of money sunk into it. I have to agree with you, I prefer the old fashioned method, however, my previous boss was a cutting edge kind of guy and was always looking into "new things" without a long range vision- needless to say, he is no longer here and we are faced with this dilema. One thing that does concern is, what would we do in the event of a disaster of some sort. I know fire proof cabinets are an option but what about weather related events etc.
  • We are a large company and we also scan all of our documents. We only allow HR access to any of the records. I love it. We send all the paperwork to a central location where they scan everything. It makes accessing the documents a breeze.
  • I worked for a large mfg company and we started a scanning/imaging project in late 90's. All terminated employee files have been scanned and all new hires' files are scanned and the Records department (within HR - not a separate organization) is responsible for the project and continues scanning active employees' files. There are no paper files maintained for these employees once they are scanned. If a mgr needs to see a file or if HR rep needs to see it, they call Records to print out a copy or e-mail the documents to them.

Eventually they'd like to work it into a larger system for MSS - Mgr self service to enable managers to have desktop access to this info, but that's longer term.

For a large company, scanning and imaging files makes sense because the space needed and retrieval time and cost becomes enormous.