Religious E-mail Being Passed Around Office

This e-mail was forwarded to me by a co-worker. I do not think it is appropriate for work and disciplanary action will follow. My question to my fellow Christian forumites is, is this information true? Being a Buddhist I have never read the bible so I am not sure. This truly is not intended to offend anyone, I am just curious. To be honest, I'm not sure who Dr. Laura is.

A Letter to Dr. Laura

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to
people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as someone who accepts the Bible, to her homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I
have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge
with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. ..... End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They
claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for
her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I
tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies only to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2
clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill
him myself?

6. Eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10. Is it a lesser
abomination than homosexuality? I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a
defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my
vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27.
How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me
unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two
different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to
curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who
sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you
can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and
unchanging.

Comments

• 77 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Scott: As your Forum Brother, I suggest you quietly borrow or purchase an inexpensive Bible, one that includes both Old and New Testaments and read the passages you cite. For whatever it's worth, probably nothing in this context, Dr. Laura is Jewish and is outspoken about her beliefs on homosexuality and her faith's interpretation about that subject. Your question was, "Is this true?" If by that you mean does the Bible actually say these things or not, you will find the verses, or won't find them as the case may be, if you pick up The Book and peruse it. Even a Buddhist is allowed to take a peek at this Book, I'm sure, but wear rubber gloves, it's a dangerous book x:-). Depending on the version, among many, that you choose, you will probably find that the direct quotes may or not be contextual and may or may not contain the precise language you quoted. Depending on the Christian or Jewish particular denomination of the writer (many versions), you may or may not be able to interpret the words to suit you. On the subject of your disciplining people who bounced around the email, I find that interesting, IF you do not have a strict policy prohibiting the distribution of non-work-related emails on company computers. If you do not have such a policy and you do allow the distribution of other types of personal emails, there is no reason to ban this particular one, unless you are on a personal crusade to attack Christianity or those who would recite Bible verses. I applaud your faith and your right to hold it. I was raised in the Baptist church, attending 3-4 times weekly and eating as many Revival Donuts as my stomach would allow. I have not been to church in 20 years; but, feel that I am a good person who does good things regardless of where I am sitting or what day of the week it is. So, I say that to guarantee you that I am no Bible thumper, as they say. I am good to my fellow man and will come to his rescue much quicker than will most of the people sitting in church pews. Maybe James should create a 'religion' column on the Forum since this sort of posting is getting so much coverage lately. Let's please not let this one turn into a screaming argument by those who holler 'OFFENDED'. Whichever Book you prefer, have a great day.
  • Thanks Don. You seem to have answered my questions. I am seeing my brother this weekend and he always brings a bible to family gatherings, I'll check with him as well. Again thanks for the advice. x:-) The disciplinary action is for passing around non-work related e-mails. Our policy strictly prohibits this behavior. It really has little to do with it's content. As a matter of fact I thought that the e-mail was sarcastic in nature towrds Christianity but don't like to make judgements without knowing more facts. Either way it and any other non-work related e-mails should not be passed around at work.
  • The Monarch notes to the Bible are not a bad read. They give a nice overview of the different books with good cross references. The notes came in two versions - the Bible and the Bible as Literature. They helped me get through the mandatory Bible classes way back in college.
  • Another thing about 'most' Christians, and Jews (I have found) is that they have great senses of humor and the Letter to Dr. Laura would probably be a source of quite a few guffaws, even from the pulpit. Fun can be had with the Bible if it's not hurtful or blasphemous. Except for the strictest of ecumenicists, the 'church' is laced with humor and most will find the 'letter' a lot of fun. My guess is that few will be offended. Salmon Rushdie is a good example of what happens when religious zealots take themselves too seriously.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-26-03 AT 08:38AM (CST)[/font][p]I have noticed also that religion is a frequent topic on the forum. It has been at times somewhat uncomfortable for me. I am agnostic. One of the reasons for this is because I was particularly interested in history while growing up and noticed that there was a lot of harm done in the cause of furthering religious beliefs. I am aware that a lot of good has come from religion as well, but having been brought up in a family that was not of any particular faith I simply chose not to practice any.
    I live in Massachusetts where there is a strong Catholic presence. As most of you know the Catholic church has been involved in years of covering up child sexual abuse. This has contributed to my belief that religion CAN be used to do terrible things. The whole thing just breaks my heart.
    Sometimes I feel a little alienated from the forum because it seems the majority of you are Christian. I know that this is not because of anything that anyone has posted, just my own hesitation when it comes to posting to any thread that contains this subject. I follow them all though and have come to appreciate and respect everybodies belief system.
    Deez
  • I have seen this email before. This isn't a sarcastic take on Christianity: it's a slam to Dr. Laura. I can listen to her for about 30 seconds before getting sick. I have found her to be very pushy, a poor listener and somewhat closed-minded. I prefer not to tune in to her radio show and have only caught it by accident. I agree that if this violates your company's email policy, disciplinary action should follow. I also agree that it never hurts to learn anything, and exposure to the Book (I think) is a good thing. It's also a testament to everyone's unconditional acceptance of others and open minds on this forum that these subjects can be brought up without a free-for-all.
  • I don't want to get into an argument, cause offense to you (or anyone here) nor have you offended me; deez. But this is one topic which both saddens and irritates me. It just seems as if the Catholic Church has spent years 'covering up' child abuse because the media says so. I am sure that there are many organizations that have situations that they take care of "in house" vs making it public. (Didn't the Boy Scouts have a similar situation?) Not all Catholic Churches are the same, it's just been sensationalized by the media because of a few instances. Religion is not being used to do 'terrible things' as you say. There are just 'bad people' (for lack of a better term) who do bad things and it touches all factions of life.
  • HS, you have not offended me. I appreciate your response in fact. You are right they are bad people who have done this not Catholicism itself. But there are'nt just a few instances. MA has been badly affected by this as it has come out the Cardinal and many higher church officials covered up many, many cases of sexual abuse. knowingly transferred abusive priests to environments that expose them to children and there have been hundreds, literally hundreds of cases that have come forward. Some of these may be false but so far documentation seems to support most of the accusations.
    In one case the priest accused was a member of NAMBLA a homosexual organization that encourages "man" "boy" physical relations and his higher ups KNEW this and still protected him.
    I don't know why this was allowed to continue by the Church but it was.

• Isen't is a crock that God gets the shaft everytime someone, who proposes to follow him, commits a sin. The Church Officials are the ones who should be chastised, certainly not God. Does it reflect on God and what he stands for? I sure hope not! People ARE bad and shame on them for commiting that sin especially when given the incredible task of sharing the word of Jesus Christ to the world! The Church Officials should conduct a COMPLETE background check on ANYONE that wants to represent their Church.

I think that the Catholic faith is being unrealistic in believing that Priests can go without sex their whole lives. I think that this kind of rule encourages perverts or perhaps even changes people when they are deprived for so long. God wants us to procreate and have families. What were they thinking when they made that rule! This is one of the reasons so many got out and started another following.

Anyway, boy did that stir up some thoughts and emotions....
    Jane

>HS, you have not offended me. I appreciate your response in fact. You
    >are right they are bad people who have done this not Catholicism
    >itself. But there are'nt just a few instances. MA has been badly
    >affected by this as it has come out the Cardinal and many higher
    >church officials covered up many, many cases of sexual abuse.
    >knowingly transferred abusive priests to environments that expose them
    >to children and there have been hundreds, literally hundreds of cases
    >that have come forward. Some of these may be false but so far
    >documentation seems to support most of the accusations.
    >In one case the priest accused was a member of NAMBLA a homosexual
    >organization that encourages "man" "boy" physical relations and his
    >higher ups KNEW this and still protected him.
    >I don't know why this was allowed to continue by the Church but it
    >was.

• I agree with you on one condition...that you change the word 'chastised' to 'castrated'. both have the same number of letters. One just gets your attention a bit quicker. x:-)
  • >[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-26-03 AT
    >08:38 AM (CST)[/font]
    >
    >I have noticed also that religion is a frequent topic on the forum.
    >It has been at times somewhat uncomfortable for me. I am agnostic. One
    >of the reasons for this is because I was particularly interested in
    >history while growing up and noticed that there was a lot of harm done
    >in the cause of furthering religious beliefs. I am aware that a lot of
    >good has come from religion as well, but having been brought up in a
    >family that was not of any particular faith I simply chose not to
    >practice any.
    >I live in Massachusetts where there is a strong Catholic presence. As
    >most of you know the Catholic church has been involved in years of
    >covering up child sexual abuse. This has contributed to my belief that
    >religion CAN be used to do terrible things. The whole thing just
    >breaks my heart.
    >Sometimes I feel a little alienated from the forum because it seems
    >the majority of you are Christian. I know that this is not because of
    >anything that anyone has posted, just my own hesitation when it comes
    >to posting to any thread that contains this subject. I follow them all
    >though and have come to appreciate and respect everybodies belief
    >system.
    >Deez

Deeze: I think your last sentence clearly testifies to the fact of what kind of person you are. A "good person" may not necessarily be Christian, Jewish, Buddist or any religion whatever. Sitting in a church will not give you a free ticket to any hereafter.

• Have you always been consistent in desciplining those who pass around ANY non-work related e-mails ?

Chari
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-26-03 AT 02:00PM (CST)[/font][p]Always....the content does not matter. Two weeks ago an employee was disciplined for passing around an e-mail about a comedy club she planned on attending. When employees start they sign an agreement that all e-mails will be work or field related. In addition every morning when they sign on to their computers they get a message reminding them about this.

My post was not to find out if I did the right thing because if we are nothing else here, we are consistant. What I wanted to find out was if the information contained in the e-mail was accurate. Often I find these types of e-mail are full of holes. However, this e-mail had specific refences. Don was able to give me the answers I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I know that religion or lack there of is a touchie subject and very personal. I hope no one was offended.
  • Hey, why can't we own Canadians anyway?
  • Because we might mistakenly own those french Canadians, heck a lot of those guys wear thongs at the beach, we don't need more of that in the US! x:o
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Whew! Thanks DJ, that was a close one.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-26-03 AT 10:22AM (CST)[/font][p]Now, THAT'S a fact!!! (To BJ and thongs)
  • Quick Bible Study:

Old Testatment: Law
    New Testamtent: Love
    Summary: God knew that no one could live up to the standards of the "Law", so he provided a permanent sacrfice in His son Jesus.

Does anyone out there really believe that in these broken down, sinful bodies (Chrisitians like me included, Rom. 3:23) of ours, that we can really please a Hold God? Neither did God. That's why the New Testament is so exciting, because it teaches us our salvation is FREE, we do nothing to earn it!!!! It says "it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourself, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast."
    Ephesians 2:8-9.

People think the bible is nothing but brimstone and fire....not true at all!!

Just remember, History (not just the bible) records that Jesus walked the earth. You can't say he was just a good teacher, or philospher. He claimed to be the Son of God...so he was either, a Liar, Lunatic or Lord.

Any other questions about the bible, please feel free to e-mail.

-RJS

• Where would that historical reference to Jesus be located? The only reference to Jesus that I've seen is a Biblical one. Not that it matters, mind you. I'm reminded of my former college advisor (an Israeli) who used to say that it wasn't important to prove whether or not Jesus existed....the important thing was whether or not you learned something from Him.
  • Probably the most famous and credible historian to speak about Jesus, was a Jewish,"non-Chrisitian" historian by the name of Flavius Josephus...here's a sample of some of his work....sorry to hear your teacher gave such poor advice. Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life". How can you learn from someone when you don't read or believe a word He said? The sell job of Jesus just being a good teacher is a hard argument to sell when you read what Jesus actually taught. Hope no one is offended...just thankful for what "He" did for me, and not ashamed to talk about it!!

Flavius Josephus (AD 37?-101?) mentions Jesus - Antiquities, Book 18, ch. 3, par. 3.
    A. Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, (9) those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; (10) as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.

Flavius Josephus (AD 37?-101?) mentions James, the brother of Jesus - Antiquities, Book 20, ch. 19.
    A. "Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the sanhedrim of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others, [or, some of his companions]; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned: but as for those who seemed the most equitable of the citizens, and such as were the most uneasy at the breach of the laws, they disliked what was done."

• What a wonder tongue in cheek response to a person who views on life can be somewhat rigid and preachy.

Just my .02
  • I think the Dr. Laura email reminds me of the saying - "Don't throw stones in a glass house"

Also - to all the Forumites - I think our discussion on religion is a good thing. I know the other threads on religion have enlightened me to what people outside of my circle of friends, my company, and the Bible thumping middle of America may think.

I want to that you for letting me in on your thoughts and beliefs and I hope that I didn't offend anyone. You certainly haven't offended me - but educated me the way good friends can. (You know, the friends that you argue with one moment and hang out with the next)

Zanne

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-26-03 AT 02:47PM (CST)[/font][p]Wow! What interesting comments - I had to add mine. Like Don D I was raised in a very fundamental faith, and as has Don, I have backslidden (a Baptist term) for some of the reasons deez cites. Thirty years ago I came accross something that made such innate sense to me I copied it and have carried around a shred for all these years. It was attributed to Curtis Sitomer, an editor of the Christian Science Monitor, but I think it originally apeared in a Seventh-Day Adventist publication discussing separation of Church and State - so I guess it kind of eclectically covers all the bases of the Christian religions from Sunday to Saturday:
    "History tells me that persecution comes, generally, not from bad people trying to make other people bad, but from good people trying to make other people good. How ironic it would be if we lose our freedom at last, not to leftists tossing bombs, but to Christians espousing slogans."
    When we contemplate the horrors that have been inflicted on the world in the name of god (by whatever name he is known),with the intention to make men more godly, it is indeed apalling. Sorry, didn't mean to heavy up a topic that had lightened up. P.S. I forgot to fess up to something: I bought a redheaded mush head (Canadian) 39 years ago, and she's owned me ever since. Just one lucky guy eh?

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-26-03 AT 02:58PM (CST)[/font][p]Shadowfax: Not to be contentious; but, I don't describe my current plateau as one arrived at by virtue of having 'backslidden'. Rather than having backslidden, I would describe mine as 'having slidden into home plate'. I too grew up hearing that term and consider it a derogatory characterization of people attributed by Baptist zealots, and a state those 'judges' feel comfortable with when observing it in others from a pedestal they have erected for themselves from which to observe those around them on lower levels. I'm not referring to Shadowfax, but to those righteous people in my Baptist upbringing. I remember the term from my early Baptist education as one occupied primarily by drunkards, ill-doers, having stumbled morally, non-practicers of 'the faith' and such people as those who might frequent the pool hall and even those folks who could be found fishing or mowing the grass on Sunday, surely visiting Hellfire upon themselves. All my relatives are Baptist, and as far as they know, so am I, and I reckon I am. But I will point out that some of the best lessons I both learned and taught in life were either in the pool hall or on the lake on Sunday with my children. To this day I will trade one Sunday on the lake with my daughter or son for all the Sundays I sat in a pew. And a few other great lessons were learned watching the preacher creep out of the liquor store with his brown bag and watching the deacon park down the street and head up toward the house of the widow woman. I don't condemn any of the people I've spoken about here. All of them have value. But the value of none of them is greater than my own. PS: I went out at noon and bought a Southern Gospel music CD and will alternate it with Junior Walker and The Allstars and Clapton and Buffet, who is from just down the road. x:-) Just another slant. As you all know, I don't mind revealing who I am. It makes me stronger.
  • Don D I certainly meant no offense, and if I really admit it to myself, I probably use the term (backslider) to refer to an 'improved state' rather than a state of holy rejection. I surely do not begrudge my fundamentalist upbringing, for it appears to have done me no harm - and I have no idea of knowing how much good it may have accomplished. As a result of my rejection of the idea of blind faith acceptance of things which did not seem to make any sense to me, I did not raise my daughter in any organized faith, and she has turned out to be a wonderful, caring, bright young lady - so I don't really know what makes any of us who we are. But, I love your posts, particularly about your kids, and agree what a blessing just a phone call is from them -even if they need pizza money - and assure you my reference to our mutual backslider status(although admittedly presumptious of me) was intended as a sobriquet of high honor and great esteem, and nothing more. Maybe we should call ourselves 'foresliders', referencing a more advanced state of grace and compassionate understanding. Nah! It will never catch on with the Baptists nor the Fundamentalists, at least not the ones with whom I grew up.
  • I guess there's something wrong with me but the email in question struck me as hilariously funny. I laughed my way through it and thank Scott for sharing it. I doubt very much that it was meant to be religious, but it most certainly took a solid poke at the very self-righteous Dr. Laura. By the way, I have read that she has some personal acquaintance with many of the sins she deplores.

Scott, by all means discipline for non-work relatedness, but it is awfully funny.
  • ScottOR,

Your original question asked if statements in the e-mail were true. I am not a theologian but my answer to you would be "yes and no". Yes, the verses are in the Bible. In fact, there are some others that are even more disturbing if taken out of context with no knowledge of the historical situation and customs of the time.

The short explanation is that God wanted the Israelites, His chosen people, to be set apart and DIFFERENT from the other nations who worshipped idols. The idea being that the Israelites would be a "light" in a dark world leading other nations to God. So, yes, there were some guidelines like the prohibition of shellfish which seem odd to us 5 thousand years later but were significant at the time.

The Bible, like any book, must be read in context with an understanding of the societal circumstances of the times.

That being said, the e-mail is a fairly caustic attack leveled at Dr. Laura and subsequently (if passed around) anyone from a Judeo-Christian faith background. In a multi-faith environment, any attack on one particular faith should receive a clear and firm response from HR.

Paul in Cannon Beach

• I tend not to participate in the discussions about religion, as I never really felt as educated about it as some of you are.

I was raised catholic and when my brothers and I each were confirmed, my mom told us it was up to us whether or not we'd like to continue attending mass. None of us continued. At the time, I thought church was boring and couldn't relate to what was presented to me. I attempted to read the bible as a young adult and gave up very quickly. Again, I just couldn't relate.

Looking back, I guess it was because we were basically just told to believe what we were told and go to church because that's what good catholics do. Maybe we were never told this verbatim, but it's the general message I remember from priests, CCD teachers, elder family members, etc.

I recently learned that a great aunt refused to "accept" a grandchild because the mother never married the father. She does, however, acknowledge other grandchildren born of the same mother with her husband.

Prior to my parents wedding, my great aunt wrote my dad a letter expressing her disapproval of him because my mom was pregnant before they married, AND he happened to be methodist. They've been married for 38 years now and are still happy together. They are amazing parents and good people.

Is this what a "good catholic" does? Reject those who don't conform to the rules or believe as catholics do?

My Dad and my husband are both methodist, both are not "practicing". We were married by a methodist minister. I still consider myself catholic because I don't know what else to call myself. Catholic guilt prevents me from admitting I may be agnostic - but maybe that's what I am. I find value in what I know of several religions, so maybe.

I truly believe that if you treat people with respect and acceptance it will come back to you again and again. It's worked for me so far.

My feelings are based on impressions and memories of how people treat others and have been treated, but I can't quote bible verses and have not bothered to research the bible to learn why (some) catholics behave the way they do.

These posts have been very interesting and informative.
  • I hope I don't open a can of worms here, but I just have to ask a question.

I agree with Paul in that the Old Testament especially, is about context and relating the situations to the time and place they were used and written.

Having said that, I don't understand how religious leaders pick and choose what to obey and what not to obey. Why do they condemn homosexuality as so horrible, using the book of Leviticus in the Old Testament, when a few verses over, the bible condones slavery? How does one reconcile that?

I've always wondered that...

Nrdgrrl