Definition of Director, Manager, etc.

HELP!!

The titles for our professional staff have run amok. EVERYONE is a Director (just ask them) even though they may not have any permanent staff working for them - just students (I'm at a university) and/or temps. People are pretty much given titles based on what the VP wants to call them and pay them. I've been working on written distinctions between several titles so I can tell the VP, for example, "no, this position is NOT a Director - it is a Program Manager." Since we have no written definitions, I can't say that with any authority. This is a portion of what I’ve worked on so far. Does anyone have anything already written? Or, do you know where this might be on a federal website? I’ve looked at DOL and Firstgov.gov but haven’t found a whole lot of helpful info.

Director – Responsible to an Assistant VP, an Associate VP or a VP. Directors have control of an individually recognized university department. Directors are frequently part of a VP’s management team. Develops policies and procedures for own area. Directors are the administrative equivalent to Deans. Examples of individually recognized departments include: Human Resources, Financial Services, Financial Services, Academic Computing, Campus Life, Facilities, the Library, Alumni Relations, Residence Life and New Student Programs, Admissions, Development, Public Relations and Marketing, and the academic departments.

Associate Director – Responsible to a Director or appropriate administrator. Functions as Director in his/her absence. May be delegated responsibility for the overall direction and management of a specific functional area.

Assistant Director – Responsible to a Director, Associate Director, or appropriate administrator. May function for the Director or Associate Director in their absence.

Program Director/Manager – Responsible to an Associate Director, Director or higher for an individual program of a department. Functions include budgetary control for a portion of a larger budget. Develops policies and procedures for own program. Program Directors/managers are the administrative equivalent to Chairs.

Thanks for any and all help.

Karla

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We addressed this a few years ago also due to everyone wanting to be a "director" and no consistency of how titles were given. Here are the guidelines we use --

I. Director
    Director-level positions:
    A. Has primary duty of managing a recognized department.
    B. Regularly directs the work of two (2) or more employees.
    C. Regularly exercises discretionary powers and independent thinking.
    D. Has full and final responsibility and accountability for department operating budget.
    E. Has authority to hire, fire, promote, assign, discipline, resolve grievances, etc. of other employees.
    F. Normally reports to the Executive Director or Leadership.
    G. May direct the operation of multiple departments.

II. Coordinator
    Coordinator-level positions:
    B. Regularly exercises discretionary powers and independent thinking.
    C. Has full and final responsibility and accountability for department operating budget.
    D. Has authority to hire, fire, promote, assign, discipline, resolve grievances, etc. of other employees.
    E. May direct the work of other employees.
    F. Normally reports to Leadership, Executive Director, Motherhouse Administrator, or another Department Director.

III. Manager/Supervisor
    Manager/Supervisor-level positions:
    B. Regularly exercises discretionary powers and independent thinking.
    C. Has full and final responsibility and accountability for department operating budget.
    D. Has authority to hire, fire, or effectively recommend such decisions.
    E. May direct the work of other employees.
    F. Normally reports to the Motherhouse Administrator or another Department Director.

Discretionary powers and independent judgment are broad, non-descript terms used to define bona-fide management positions. Discretion and independent judgment involves the analysis and evaluation of possible outcomes and making a decision after all possibilities have been considered. The decision should be an independent choice, free from immediate supervision and includes issues of significance and consequence. These decisions must be made on a customary and regular basis as opposed to an occasional basis.
    Decisions made following prescribed procedures, choosing a particular procedure or having some leeway/flexibility, are decisions based on skill or knowledge and are not examples of discretion and independent judgment.

Issues of significance and consequence are:
    1. Issues involving the use of labor (hire, fire, etc.)
    2. Issues involving the use of financial resources.
    3. Issues pertaining to the formulation, interpretation or administration of policy.
    4. Issues involving exceptions or deviations from policy or past practice.

• These comments will be but a blip on your screen and I suggest you ignore them and proceed with your project. Anyway, after all these years, I have found that such titles are largely ornamental, like SHRM certifications and the assemblage of abbreviations I could follow my name with if I chose to. On my last job, the position had for years been titled manager. I struggled to get it changed to Director and succeded. Largely it aided my resume. The duties went unchanged. I got off on the title of Director. This company I'm with now has no, zero, directors, only managers, so I live with that at more salary than the director job I did have. When I was much younger, in 5 or 6 office manager roles, I longed for a more uplifting title until I realized it mattered not. Back then the title 'Center Coordinator' was the coveted title and role that managers strived for and today the coordinators report to the manager. Although I understand a need for consistency within an organization and some order in the application of titles, I feel it's quite the anal exercise to belabor the point and try to squeeze the organization into one mindset to the horror of various VPs and department heads. The place can't run amok with everybody deciding how to title others and some organizations have NO job titles. Somewhere in the middle might be a good medium. But, as I indicated, my comments should be ignored. Good luck with your project.