Possible Scam?

Over the last day and a half, I've had three separate phone calls from people claiming to represent three different "diversity magazine" publishers -- each inquiring about a delinquent payment for an ad I supposedly authorized 4 to 6 months ago. The magazine titles in each of the three calls were similar but definitely not the same. (One of the callers claimed I had authorized four ads -- one in a magazine specializing in Women diversity issues, one in Black issues, one in Hispanic issues and one in ex-military issues.)

The problem is that I don't recall any of the three calls -- and can't remember ever agreeing to an ad without first seeing some samples, getting a distribution/circulation list, and having a contract in writing. All three say we had lengthy conversations and that I authorized the ads over the phone --responding to their "generous" offers of a significant discount. They offered to send me "duplicate" invoices for me to review and pay.

It could be that I had three distinct senior moments. I can't say the calls didn't take place and I certainly want to honor any committments I might have made. But I can't shake the feeling that I'm being "scammed."

Has anyone had similar experiences -- or does anyone know of a scam circulating among us HR types relative to diversity advertising?

Bill

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-30-03 AT 03:32PM (CST)[/font][p]Don't oral agreements over the phone require a confirmatory notice in writing? I would ask them to send you a copy of such notice - not the invoice. Watch how fast they disappear. The fact that you got three sounds way too suspicious.
  • You are right in your suspicion that these are scams, of a sort. Such organizations have worker bees who call businesses all day long pretending to be organizations alligned with government or minority organizations or associations publishing volumes listing names of companies who cave in to what I call the Jesse Jackson syndrome of sending money to those who put the squeeze on businesses. Tell them you made no such agreement and hang up. For those who call and their name sounds remotely akin to a government agency or EOE this or that, tell them you do not wish to participate. There's no value to having your company name published in a volume, even if one does exist, and most probably there is no publication. Several that come to mind are "The Minority Affairs Divison", "Associated Affiliates To Ensure Equal Opportunity Under The Law", and "Equal Opportunity Publication Divison of The University of Indiana".
  • I have received similar calls in the past. The last one I got said would you like to renew your ad. These scam artists are just trying to trick you into agreeing to pay for something that amounts to a hill of beans. The last call I got, was asking if I wanted to renew my ad. When I asked to see what was run "last time". He stumbled I hung up.
  • I'd ask for a copy of the confirmatory notice, invoice and tear sheet - y'know just to refresh your memory on what it is your paying for.
  • It's definitely a scam! Over the years, I have been contacted, as have many other colleagues of mine in this area, by "official-sounding" agencies, etc. with the same spiel or variations thereof. Every time I asked to have a copy of the ad or notice forwarded, there was never a followup--in fact, most of the callers would disconnect.
  • Everyone has confirmed my suspicions. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll deal with the callers accordingly -- if they ever call back!!

BillG
  • I think you're being scammed! I've had calls like this and I refuse to respond to them or pay a nickle. I also receive scam invoices in the mail for publications I did not order. Isn't it sad that some people will reach to incredible lows in order to scam unsuspecting people out of money in order to line their own dirty pockets.
  • My experience was similar to Scott's. When new to HR and just starting down the AAP path, I did send in money for an ad to one of these diversity publications. I was supposed to get a copy of the ad - never did. Then they called the next year to renew my ad. When I asked them to fax me a copy of last years ad, he hung up. I was fooled once, but not again.
  • The standard answers here are "Company policy does not allow us to do anything over the phone" and "Company policy does not allow us to give out any information over the phone." Confuses the caller but they either hang up immediately or ask to speak the person in charge (Sorry but company policy...."
  • A variation of this is the really official looking invoice for a job posting that you might receive. Some scam artists copy and paste the ad out of legitimate publications and send you an invoice with the ad appearing in the invoice, so it appears you must surely have placed the ad with them. Way down at the bottom in tiny print it says, this is not an invoice for payment, but this is how your ad will appear in our publication if you decide to pay for it. With some companies placing multiple ads frequently, some of these invoices probably slip right through the payment process. I think these people are referred to as entrepreneurs.
  • Again, thanks for everyone's input. Message received and understood -- "Let the buyer beware."

BillG
  • Another angle is to address the "invoice" directly to Accounts Payable at the company. Since they know I will shred it, they hope that an inexperienced accounting clerk might not check, and just send a check.
  • This happens all the time in Philly, and it's a big scam. Everyone in our office is well coached on how to respond to phone solicitations....just say no and hang up.
  • Here's another one:

A copy toner provider with a made up name, calls from out of the blue and asks for the serial # of your copier. You believe it's your vendor with whom you lease or order supplies. You give them the serial #. A week later, UPS shows up with a case of toner that "you ordered."

This only bit me once - but we didn't pay.

"Sam"