Voluntary quit

What do you think of this.. I have a friend who was going through problems at his job the last 6 months of his employment. He worked there for 7 years. His employer change his job discription, harassed him in front of other co-workers and docked his pay when he stressed he needed his hours changed and would make them up( salaried employee by the way) Finally he quit. He is about to have a hearing and is nervous about explaining the details. I told him it should be sweet & to the point without the "emotional" feeling. He thinks there should be emotion because this is partly the reasons for quitting. ( harassment) He has to show a necessitous and compelling reason for quitting. Any suggestions or is he just plain out of luck on this one?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Many states have u/comp verbiage that requires "good cause attributable to the employer" or such similar language. If your state includes this exception, then I think your best advice is to have your friend "just state the facts". Intentional emotions are often transparent, so I'd tell this person to state his/her case with sincerity and factual, supportable evidence.
  • I would sit down with him and have him write down all instances with approximate dates. Consult former coworkers if necessary to get dates. If he truely was docked pay, he also has a wage & hour issue and should bring that up. He needs to report that to both the state and federal wage & hours offices near him. If he comes in with an organized list with dates, etc. he will be in good shape. This will show that he is professional, in control and that he was forced out due to the incidents/harassment. A small amount of emotion is appropriate because the state will want to be satisfied that this was "severe" enough to force someone to quit.
  • Tell him to hold off on the acting lessons. Having worked in a state employment/unemployment system for some years and then on the other side of the desk participating in hearings in 48 states, I can tell you that no referee or judge or administrative hearing officer is the least bit impressed, swayed or otherwise moved by crocodile tears, theatrics or testimony that includes the flailing of arms or swooning. "Emotions, necessitous or compelling reasons to quit"? Save me! Tell your friend to show up, speak up, then shut up. Or as has been often said, "Be informed, Be brief, Be seated."
  • Thank you for your input. I will have him write out "specific" not emotional reasons for leaving. When one feels a need other may not. He has to try it and then forget about it should it not be in his favor. At least he is not in a hostile environment anymore. Life WILL go on. Thanks