Standards for Mail Clerk

Anyone have any suggestions for how to establish standards for a mail room clerk?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What sort of standards are we talking about? Conduct? Job Content? Quantifiable expectations? Dress?
  • Sorry about that. A little more info. would be helpful. Have an employee who continually complains about being overworked, she is also an attendance problem and a person who has been written up for insubordination. I have asked the Supervisor to document performance issues and she said "It is too hard to come up with procedures for the mailroom".
  • Sounds like the supervisor should work the job for a day or two........bet they could come up with some standards then. Who knows they might even come up with the standards before working the job a day or two.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • As with any job, you must start with an accurate job description. That requires the supervisor to have adequate knowledge of the job and each of its components, and that she be able to reduce that to writing for you. The supervisor cannot get off the hook by saying it's too hard to establish elements for this job. The supervisor must analyze the job even if it does mean performing it herself. At minimum, she must present to you a draft detailing each piece of the job, and such things as timeline standards for picking up, sorting, stamping, and distributing inbound, and receiving and moving outbound mail, if this is what the incumbent does, along with all the other duties the worker performs during a day. In order to properly supervise (and discipline) the incumbent, both the supervisor and yourself must know what's involved in the job, how its expected to be done and by what method and standards. I might be viewed as insubordinate too if nobody could tell me what the hell I am expected to do and how my performance is measured.