Distributing Company Policies

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-02 AT 04:23PM (CST)[/font][p]We are one of a few companies that do not distribute a policy manual. The policies are written, but are closly held by upper management. Policies are explained to employees as needed. Upper management is adamant in its desire not to distribute.

Must we give an employee copies of Company policies if asked?

Thanks for your help and insight.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How can you hold employees accountable if they don't know about a policy? Believe me, unless you have a signed acknowledgement that they have received a policy, it will be hard to win a wrongful termination claim. Even with a signed acknowledgement, I have people who try the old "no one ever told me I could lose my job because of XXX." I love it when I get to pull out the paper and ask, "is this your signature?"
  • I am with Marie. What is the point in having policies if your employees don't know about them.

Some ABSOLUTELY have to be distributed to employees -- like an FMLA policy and anti-harassment/anti-discrimination policy.

Some employers have one policy manual for the employees that discusses work rules, open door policy, etc., then a seperate manual for managers that adds managment details that the employees don't need to know. This might be a way to solve your problem.

Good Luck!
  • There is a scene in "Dr. Strangelove" where the Russian Ambassador is explaining his country's Doomsday Machine. When the President asks Dr. Strangelove is such a machine is possible, Dr.Strangelove explains that it is and that it is a brillant way of achieving deterrence. He then says, "It only works if we know about it. Why didn't you tell us." Perhaps you can get your top management to watch "Dr. Strangelove."

On a serious side, if you are going to publish the employee manual, I suggest that you consult with your attorney to make sure that you are not altering the at-will nature of the employment.

Additionally, top management should know that if there is employment litigation, the policy is generally discoverable.
  • In fact our legal beavers required me to issue a draft copy to all department heads and give them a ninty day opportunity to review and make recommended changes or point out conflicts of issues between departments, etc. After which we made changes according to their input and we were then required to allow the employees to ready the proposed handbook and identify issues and concerns. They were likewise given to provide written suggestions for incorporation. WE had to give them 90 days for review. I posted a draft copy with each department and required the department heads to allow anyone wishing to read and comment to do it on company time. I got a few employee comments and we incorporated every word and satisfied their need for participation. We then set an effective date, January 1, 2002. We published and distributed it to each employee a new employee handbook. The last page of the book is the receipt page; there is a signed and dated last page in every peronnel record jacket, including top management.

A company without a published and documented policy manual or employee handbook is obviously trying to hide something, or simply does not wished to be tied down to their own rules and procedures. Good Luck, as your bosses stumble over their own feet and words. I hope you are in the position to tell them, "I told you so" as you walk out of the company to a better company! Pork
  • I want to respond to each sentence in your post.
    (1)We are one of a few companies that do not distribute. You are right in that you are one of FEW. Most realize the wisdom of doing so. There is a direct correlation between the few who don't and the number of them that haven't yet been on the stand. The numbers seem pretty much equal for some reason.
    (2) Policies are written but are closely held by upper management. As you have already read, that is an absurd posture for management to maintain.
    (3) Policies are explained to employees as needed. Wrong. They are not. If they were explained 'as needed', they would have them on the date of hire. They provide as much protection for the company as they provide information to the employee.
    (4) Upper management is adamant in its desire not to distribute. I don't really know how best to respond to that one, except to ask you to reread number 2.