Weighing the Pros and Cons of Changing Jobs - Some Advice?

I know a lot of you have probably been approached by headhunters and have been offered jobs. How do you know when it's the right time to consider making a move? A certain amount of money over and above what you are making? More benefits? Security? More challenge? Less stress? More stress? Whatever.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Rockie - I think that's a personal decision for each of us depending upon our own set of circumstances. I have been at my current job for six years and I love it. It's ten minutes from home and I have a very family friendly boss; I'm home most days between 4 and 4:30 p.m., just shortly after the kids are home from school. On the other side of the coin, the company is a non-profit organization that provides services to people with mental retardation...no one works here to get rich. I have been approached by a former boss who asked me to return to work for a large hospital in downtown Houston, making substatailly more money. It's not worth it to me though, simply the stress of getting downtown every day...not seeing the family until well after six; for me that's not the better deal. Write down your pro's and cons and priortize them in order of importance to you and then make your decision. Best of luck to you!
  • I agree with JAM. What I always do with relatively complex and important decisions is take out a legal pad (as simple-minded as it sounds) and draw a line down the middle and put a + above the left half and a - above the right. Then I kick back in a recliner for 5 late nite, uninterrupted hours listing all the pros and cons of both sides. It's amazing to me how the sensible option jumps off the page after I go through that. JAM is right...things matter immensely, like: miles from home, hours of work, time with family (drive by there and see if all the administrative cars are still there at 7:15 p.m.), familiar with industry or not, year till retirement, benefits differences, does it meet career/ego needs, dress code, perceived opportunity for advancement, appearance of buildings, stability of both businesses, who do I know there, reputation in community, company picnics?, employee friendly, pay. Notice I listed pay last. Maybe a bit closer to the top in reality, but all in all certainly not tops. And finally I ask myself "Am I making the decision for the wrong reasons?"
  • Great question Rockie! I have been with this company 9 years and almost left 2 years ago. I am glad I stayed but the process of interviewing and "being an applicant" was actually very interesting and educational.

One thing that is great about HR is that I get to hear from ex-employees usually about three months after they leave here. They call me back to let me know that their new job hasn't turned out to be the utopia they thought it would. Often they end the conversation by asking if their old job is still available (I think long and hard before bringing them back.)

I think you may want to determine what is causing you dissatisfaction at your present job and make sure any future change would address those issues.

What I value in a job is:
    1) how much I value the mission of the organization (I work for a non-profit)
    2) level of respect for the head of the organization
    3) appreciation for my contribution
    4) ability to control my schedule
    5) equitable pay

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • Speaking for myself, and perhaps others - it is not simply a matter of "intangibles" only - but can we afford to continue working where we are ?

With this company, I wear two hats : HR and Accounting . I work hard to save this factory money, and the owners spend it like crazy, on crazy items, and on themselves. After over three years with no raise, ( so-called cash flow problems ) I have decided to start looking for another job elsewhere.I am not sure how long it will take to find one, but it will happen. All these years, with rental prices in the San Diego county area going out of sight, I am between a rock and a hard place.If anyone knows of a position open , please feel free to contact me at:

[email]valcharjon@aol.com[/email]

Thanks.
  • Wow! Lots of good input. My major dilemma is that I didn't go seeking the job for which I am being pursued - they have sought me out. I will be going from a high stress level health care facility to a banking institution (I have previous experience in banking). I am being offered about a 25% raise, but the money isn't the driving factor (even though it's nice). I am weighing the precariousness of the health care profession (Medicare reimbursement cuts, paycuts for physicians, etc.) vs. the more secure environment of banking. I will also have a staff of four vs. a half of an assistant (have about the same amount of employees in the organization). This is also a Vice President level position vs. a director level. (If that means anything!).

I really like and respect the people I work for but I know (from past situations) that if costs/jobs start getting eliminated, they will look for support type people before they look to clinical areas.

It looks like I am making my pro and con list by default.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Rockie: JAM, Don and Paul all hit the nail on the head. Sometimes you have to take the time and access your situation. If you have been there a while, at one time you may have loved it. As the years march on, the company and/or its upper management may have changed values and views. These changes are subtle and when you are up to your eyeballs in alligators on a daily basis may not notice. Take a deep breath and look around. Is it worth the trip?
  • First of all, whether subconsciously or not, you are considering the offer. I firmly believe that sometimes we are "where we are" because its comfortable, however it seems that people excel above the standard when they are uncomfortable (in a new company, role, environment, etc.).

Ask yourself "What do I want to be when I grow up?", will your current position take you there?

Even when we're "not looking" to change jobs, its important that we make ourselves aware of growth opportunities.

Others have brought very good points to the table - remember to protect the "keeping balance in your life" philosophy.

Drive time, work environment, hours invested, benefits, $$, perceived value of contribution are all important but it looks as though you've weighed those out.

Good Luck & Congratulations on the Offer
  • I had this same dilemma a year ago. I worked for six years in a non-profit, I loved the mission, the compensation was okay, and the benefits were okay. However, there were some major management changes occuring in the organization that made my job less satisfying. My new supervisor lacked good people skills, I was not supported in the changes I was directed to make in the organization, and I increasingly had less time with my children as I had to work horrible hours and travel out of state once a month. I started looking around for a position in the Native community. I am ALaska Native, and felt I wanted to get back to my roots and help a community that I could relate to and very much needed my help. I was offered a job by a Native non-profit. The pay was a little less, and I was very unfamiliar with the people in the organization. The organization had a civil lawsuit against it from former employees a few years back. This was a very stressful decision, I polled everyone I knew on whether I was making a good decision. I took the job, and am very glad I did. I have moved up the ranks in a short amount of time, I make considerably more than I did for my previous employer, they pay for me to get my Master's, I enjoy what I do and I like the people I work with. This was the best decision I ever made, and I made it based on job satisfaction.
  • Good for you MMoore! Sounds like you reasoned it out thoroughly and went for the gold ring. Glad you caught it! x:-)