What do you do with Exit Interviews?

Considering the nature of my business, it is next to impossible to sit down and conduct face to face exit interviews so we send out an exit interview form for them to fill out and return back.

I am just curious, what do you do with these types of forms when you get them back? Do you just look at them and throw them into a file? Do you chart the employee's responses and create reports? Do you go over them with the manager of their department?

Johnette
[email]johnette@deangelospizzeria.com[/email]

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my opionion, they can be useful in many ways. One, you can see if there was a problem in the department, with the manager, etc. that made the employee want to leave. If that is the case, maybe changes need to be made. Maybe others want to leave for the same reasons. Also, if the employee ever comes back looking for a job you can pull out the exit interview and see if he is someone you want to hire again...just some thoughts.
  • Is there anyone who waits to conduct exit interviews? I know that usually they are conducted prior to the employee leaving.

Is there merit to contacting former employees after a month to allow them a bit of perspective? Just a thought.. anyone doing that?

I know I have always found it very interesting what ex-employees say to me about 2-3 months after leaving our organization. Often their views of their jobs here have changed - usually for the better. Is that a more accurate view or nostalgia?

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • I work with a consultant who does nothing but exit interviews for companies. Only he calls them "retention studies" because he is constantly providing clients with up-to-the-minute data via internet tie-in to look for trends and patterns. He does not interview anyone until they have been gone 60 days because then they are more likely to be candid. His interviewers are trained to do effective telephone interviews and are able to get information as a third party that companies are not able to get. In addition, his interviewers probe whether the employee would be interested in returning to work for the client as well as probe whether any legal, ethical or fraud issues may exist. The client is immediately notified of any of these things come out in the interview. Several clients have been able to recruit back ex-employees shortly after losing them (grass is always greener syndrome) and boomerangs are always the best advertisement for the company.

If exit interviews are done right, they can be invaluable.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I use exit interviews to make my case for what is sometimes needed........... for example, if I have 20 employees who leave in one year and most tell me it's due to low salary, I can refer to their exit interviews which also ask them where their going and what their new salary will be (most are very happy to share this wonderful news with me). It helps make my case for having a salary range review/adjustment. Also, the reviews help me notice if there is "trend" going on in any particular area.....Why are there 4 employees leaving a department in a short amount of time, etc. I find them very helpful. Unfortunately, I don't get a 100% return rate when I use the mail, I try to interview them in person if at all possible.
  • Exit interviews are normally separated from the employee's file. It provides information regarding what the employee is permitting the company to provide to spective new employees on reference. Only that information is shared. The information also is used for Human Resource planning, policy reviews, and for the development of needed trainings and workshops. The information also points out trouble "people", managers and others, and allows for an organizational response without outside intervention. It aids in reviewing benefits, etc. A lot depends on what data is requested as part of the exit interview process.