Employee Assistance Program

Might anyone have a solid generic policy for an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)? I would like to add one to our benefits package and need some help setting up the in house policy.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have a generic policy written/approved by our employment lawyer within the last 6 months that I can share. With the new format of the forum, I could probably send it through here some how, but since I haven't learned that trick yet, please email me at [email]ofalfin3@apci.net[/email] and I'll send you a copy.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-10-01 AT 10:51AM (CST) by jrobb (admin)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-09-01 AT 01:30 PM (CST) by jrobb (admin)[/font]

DB,

If you'd like to send me your policy at [email]WebEditor@HRhero.com[/email] , I will post it at [url]http://www.hrhero.com/policies/policyindex.shtml[/url] to share with other forum members. That might save you the time of responding to duplicate requests. One day soon, I hope to have a "submit your own policy" feature on the site, but that will come a little later. (I know, I know, I'm slacking!) x;)

Thanks!

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Thanks, DB! You can find the Employee Assistance Program policy DB contributed at [url]http://www.hrhero.com/policies/policyindex.shtml[/url]

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • [font size="2"]This link might help:

[link:www.elinfonet.com/pol_output.php?pnc=42|Example EAP policies]

Good luck.[/font]
  • also, a sample contract between the company and the provider would be of help...what are the issues that come up?
  • Me again. I don't have an electronic version of our contract to share but I do have an issue which was a surprise to me. When I started this job about 6 months ago, the EAP had been in place over a year. It has the standard cost per employee per month, but it also has additional costs if the usage goes over a certain percentage. The way I see it, it's a no lose situation for the EAP. They get a minimum payment even if no one uses the program and they get more money if more than the average number of employees make use of the services. Can anyone tell me if this is a standard clause? I hadn't seen it before this contract.
  • Usually the company either pays the EAP by the usage (per visit charge), which I do not recommend, or by the employee head count. I would report my headcount quarterly and adjust my rate each quarter per employee. This company sounds like it's trying to have it both ways. If this is who you want to use, I'd structure some sort of modified usage scale. The company gets 100 visits per quarter for X amount of dollars. This can be repeat visits for the same employees or different employees. Use a scale so that if employees are not using the EAP, you pay less. For example, 0 to 25 visits costs the company X dollars, 26 to 50 visits per quarter costs the company X dollars, etc. I'd tell the EAP they cannot have it both ways. They are in the EAP business and should be able to predict that somewhere between 5% and 10% of your employees will use this program. In an employee population of 100, they should have a good idea of how many visits that would translate to. You might also want to sign a six month contract with them and see what your usage is. If I can answer any other questions, do not hesitate to call me at 615-371-8200.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge